How to deactive account of those users who're not receiving emails

Searched enough before posting:

I found that there are hundreds of users to whom my site emails are bouncing off for non-existent/wrong email addresses.

• Is there some data query or other way to find the list of all inactive users with invalid email addresses in one go?
  • Is there an easy way to ‘deactivate’ all those users with wrong email addresses and/or those who’re inactive on my website/forum for one year?
  • If I don’t ‘deactivate’ each of those users one by one, will my forum/site continue to try to send mails to those users infinitely?

Today I happen to notice that my gmail bulk folder has nearly 100 emails bounced off from my website/forum users. While I went inside each mail, copied the offending email address of the user, coming back to my site/forum’s user’s list, deactivating each user one by one, I wondered, why each offending user with invalid email was appearing once only!! Is this a feature?

Thanks very much for providing some wonderful software free of cost for us type of people.

1 Like

If you Configure VERP to handle bouncing e-mails it will work automatically.

Easiest is to configure Configure direct-delivery incoming email for self-hosted sites, which also enables reply by email.

1 Like

Thanks.
Still, do you mean that, other than what you suggested, there is no way, some setting, given deep in the site settings perhaps, to achieve what I desire?

I’m pretty sure that it got don’t have VERP configured then there is no way for Discourse to knit who has invalid addresses (or it would stop sending mail on its own).

If you know some way to find those users you can do user.valid=true;user.save, i think

1 Like

That’s what I was asking/curious about. If, for some reason, our mail bounces off the user’s email address, will discourse stop sending mails to them in the end?

And would ‘Automatic cleaning up of inactive users’ option make those users ‘inactive’ after the set number of days? And it’d keep sending mails to those addresses till then?