How to do asynchronous Scrum standups using Discourse?

(Michael Downey) #1

Our project currently does synchronous IRC-based daily (M-F) Scrum standups for people who:

• Are currently hacking on the project, and
  • Are available at the designated time.

This is less than ideal for a global team for various reasons, so I’m trying to think of how to re-create something like Flock but using Discourse. (The less tools, the better!)

For those not familiar with the report, the standard items mentioned include:

• What was done the previous day
  • Plans for the upcoming day
  • Any issues blocking the person from proceeding with their work

I’ve been thinking about how to use the following features to make it happen:

• Dedicated sub-category
  • Auto-close topics after N hours for the sub-category
  • Category-based topic templates
  • Specifying content in URL’s to pre-populate topics

The problem seems to be conceptualizing how this should look. Should each person create a topic for each day they have a report to make? A topic for each day that everyone contributes to? Ideally, someone could just go to a standard link or URL to create their report with minimal clicks.

Is this interesting to anyone else who would like to brainstorm a way forward? Thanks in advance. :smile:

1 Like
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Seems like a topic per “stand up” with multiple replies, one from each team member, would work fine. Use a unique category and put a category template in so people have some idea of what info to include.

I personally dislike any “mandatory meeting every day” scheme as we try to keep mandatory meetings to an absolute minimum.

2 Likes
(system) automatically bumped #3
(Sam Saffron) #4

Howdy @downey 3 years later … wondering how this has been working out for you?

4 Likes
(Andy at Focallocal) #5

also wondering @downey. Our volunteer community have:

• Slack for our Dev’s (as they are there for work anyway)
  • Discourse for the rest of the community, which i plan to sync with the main channel in Slack so the devs are more a part of the community
  • Trello for project management.
  • Timetreeapp for a team calendar.
  • Github for issues, coding, and often conversations occur here also

It is definitely not optimal spreading the team across so many platforms. By design Discourse is the central hub, and ways of bringing our team closer into it would be very useful.

6 Likes

And in stark contrast our team have

• Discourse for our devs
  • Discourse for the rest of the company
  • Discourse for the rest of the community
  • Discourse for project management
  • Discourse for our team calendar
  • Discourse for issues
  • Mattermost for ephemeral chat and system alerts
8 Likes
(Keith John Hutchison) #7

We’re pretty much the same except we’re looking at using another solution for project management.

Do you handle gantt charts, subtasks, and kanban layouts in discourse?

1 Like
(Andy at Focallocal) #8

+1 this is what i’d like to know.

Our main issue is being a community of volunteers. Devs want to remain on the platform they use as standard for work, getting them to switch proved difficult. syncing the main channels between the two seems the best middle-ground.

I’ll add to the mix that the Edgeryders community look to be using Discourse quite effectively for documentation, but that requires switching to the Categories view homepage, which would take away from the interaction on our forum. I’m looking now to see if there’s a way to combine the two views on the homepage so we can have our documentation on Discourse

1 Like
(Sam Saffron) #9

You can do some charting with the Discourse Graphviz plugin, but we usually avoid that. I have not seen a kanban plugin yet, but it does sound like an interesting idea for a theme component or plugin.

At Discourse we do our project management very differently to the traditional sense. We kick off TODOs on our dev instance or just directly assign topics from meta. In our weekly calls managers and team leaders help prioritise stuff. We are always shipping features so there is not “deadline in 3 months” we are working towards.

3 Likes