How to find deleted posts

Is there a way to see a list of deleted posts? (ie, when users their own posts?)

Sometimes I can see these within the thread (with the message ‘post deleted by the author’) but other times, people have got in touch to say that they have accidentally deleted a post, but I can’t find it anywhere.

I’ve set the ‘delete removed posts after’ setting to two weeks, so they shouldn’t be fully deleting off the system yet.

3 Likes

You can view a user’s deleted posts on their profile at /u/username/deleted-posts

So for example if you were an admin here you could see my deleted posts at https://meta.discourse.org/u/awesomerobot/deleted-posts

11 Likes

Thank you very much. Nothing shows up on that link for the users in question, so I suppose the posts have been fully deleted somehow, although I am not sure how at the moment.

1 Like

Can we see the content of deleted post as an admin? currently its being overridden by following message

2 Likes

Click the pencil icon at upper right of the post to see edit history.

1 Like

Thanks, we can see the edit history of deleted topics but its not same with deleted replies, is there any way to see them?

1 Like

I think its same with topics and replies/posts.

If you’re an admin you can view all deleted posts in the Latest view by using the ?status=delete query.

An example would look like this:

discourse.yourwebsite.com/latest?status=deleted

Note, you will only see the deleted topics if you are an Admin or Moderator. If you don’t have those permissions, you will just see the normal presentation of latest.

Feel free to copy this :point_down: and try it on your own URL

/latest?status=deleted
2 Likes

Hi - riding on this thread – is there a way for admins/mods to find a list of deleted posts within a specific time period other than using this link with ‘/latest?status=deleted’?

Our team’s legal counsel requires us to ensure all these posts are hard deleted within 60 days and instead of clicking into them manually, I was wondering if there are a faster way to obtain this list for this purpose.

Appreciate it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You would probably need to use data explorer here. A query can be crafted quite easily.

1 Like

Got it, I will experiment with that. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there,

Is there any way to see all of the deleted replies in the forum without resorting to SQL queries? The /latest?status=deleted flag only shows deleted topics.

Also, in the user /u/XXXXXX/deleted-posts section, deleted topics have no title link, making it impossible to visit the entire thread or un-delete it from there.

Is there something I’m not understanding or should I file a bug report? Additionally, it would be nice to have an un-delete button there.

Finally, it would be nice if the /latest?status=unlisted and /latest?status=deleted were more prominently featured somewhere in the UI for moderators and admins, not sure where would be best.

1 Like

There’s this topic Topic titles missing from deleted posts page when OP is deleted you could add your report too. :+1:

1 Like

@JammyDodger Ah there it is, thanks! I searched but I didn’t find that one.

So these would be the two remaining items, sounds like they would be classified as new features.

1 Like