How to get email notifications when new users have signed up?

(ginger man) #1

In the initial days of our forum, it is important to provide a better experience for the new users. We would love to engage with the new users as soon as they sign up (there are no user approvals here).

To do the above step, it is important to get notified in email about a new user signup (may be for a large forum, this can be disabled) as it is not practical to visit new users page everyday.

I couldnt clearly find out whether this feature is present or not. I saw the below thread which is discussed 4 years back and closed.

Please let me know how to achieve this email notification.

what they were using in the other topic was the setting

**must approve users**

Staff must approve all new user accounts before they are allowed to access the site.

This will then send you an email reminder in order to approve the accounts

(ginger man) #3

Thanks @mikechristopher.

But our community has no approvals. Email notifications are still required for enhancing user experience as explained above.

(Steve Combs) #4

There is a method discussed here using Zapier to generate an email.

Sending a PM to admins with a setting to turn it off would be nice.

Otherwise you just have to review the dashboard at admin>users>list>new>created.

beat me to it @scombs that was my next recommendation in that you could use zapier in order to webhook upon user event so when they are created you could get it to send you an email. However I had an issue with the webhook working upon creation and only worked upon user update. I believe this was something that @fantasticfears was looking at as per this topic (not sure if it was that issue or the email issue that was being referred to)

(ginger man) #6

Thanks @scombs @mikechristopher. This seems to be a better option to try.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Or you could just visit Admin, Users, New tab once every day and check their Messages to see if anyone sent them an individual welcome message. If you haven’t sent them a message, send it.

https://discourse.example.com/admin/users/list/new

(John Waltrip) #8

FYI - I went looking for this functionality today and it looks like there’s still no solution for this request, other than the workaround to vist the Admin, Users, New tab and manually review new users.

The Discourse Webhook “User Event” for Zapier will trigger when a user logs in, logs out, is created, approved or updated - not just created - so that solution is too noisy for a simple new user email notification.