How to host Discourse in China?

I tried on VPS in China.

But always, my server cannot connect to “github.com”,

and usually cannot connect to ruby, etc.

How should I build discourse in China?

Can I simply copy the full folder to a VPS in China?

I’ve built a discourse in Japan, while the VPS in China cannot connect to github.com.
So, I’m wondering whether I can just copy the folder to China? and simply start the discourse? And change the IP address?

If that can be done, everything will be good! Every time I can just upgrade the discourse in the VPS in Japan and then copy the full folder to China.

2 Likes

Im not a master by any means, but I think you need to buy a VPN in order to open the site. Alternatively, you can use DigitalOcean.com or Communiteq (formerly DiscourseHosting) to host discourse.

1 Like

I don’t have the answers here myself either, but noticed a search turns up some topics that look promising. Take a look and let us know how you get on!

https://meta.discourse.org/search?q=china

3 Likes

And, I found that the port 443 was blocked in Aliyun! The 80 port is usually also blocked.

Seems, we should not build discourse in China.

1 Like

I saw you were having problem back in January, 2018. I hope you can your site back up and running. We “lost” a user in Shanghai on our forum. I think that was from our IP being blocked by the government. Wishing you the best. Keep trying.

2 Likes

Can I simply copy the full folder to a VPS in China?

I’ve built a discourse in Japan, while the VPS in China cannot connect to github.com.
So, I’m wondering whether I can just copy the folder to China? and simply start the discourse? And change the IP address?

If that can be done, everything will be good! Every time I can just upgrade the discourse in the VPS in Japan and then copy the full folder to China.

1 Like

Edit the hosts file in your server to point github to a connectable ip address that may work and dont forget to add the china template in your app.yml

1 Like