How to install a plugin without rebuilding (or set a maintainance message)

(Sir Reyowski) #1

Hi.

I’m searching for a solution that don’t make me rebuild my Discourse when I install a new plugin, which cause a long downtime.
On some forum scripts (like PHPBB, FluxBB, etc…), we can install a plugin without causing a downtime.

I’m also looking for a solution to set a message when the users visits my rebuilding Discourse who says that the forum is currently in maintainance (instead of the web browser error).

Thanks!

(Bhanu Sharma) #2

It’s really not possible to install a plugin without rebuilding afaik.

This can be done by setting up an offline page while rebuilding here is a guide:

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

The solution is to use a two-container install. This will let you build a new image while the old one keeps running. The amount of downtime is just what it takes to shutdown the old container and start the new one.

(Sir Reyowski) #4

Thanks, I will follow your solution.

(Bhanu Sharma) #5

A more advanced version can include a load balancer in front of the application container(s) to reduce downtime to a bare minimum right?

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

Yes, I’ve experimented with having HAproxy in front of two containers, so it should be possible to leave the old server running, crank up the new one, shut down the old one with no downtime. I’ve not yet gotten it working correctly, however.

(Bhanu Sharma) #7

Can you tell me what kind of issues you had?

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

I’ll need to crank it up again and document it. It’ll take a while to figure it out again. :frowning: