How to let moderators change email addresses?

Hi,

our moderators also handle user account issues and would like to be able to change a user’s email address for them. How can I enable this?

They can already?.. Unless using SSO.

They just need to go to the users public profile, click Preferences, and then edit the email address

They’re not on SSO. And we checked everywhere, but they have no email fields. Here’s Preferences -> account for a moderator:

Ah, you need to enable moderators_view_emails (though I have no idea why that setting is tied to the Preferences page) and make sure email editable is enabled too

5 Likes

That did it, thanks!

Hi,

I can see users emails in their preferences, but I can’t edit it. I don’t see how to enable email editable too… Where do I have to look?

I see you talk about SSO… My forum is tied up with activemember360 for the registration (if it is what you mean by SSO? It it also tied up with wordpress), but I’m afraid that if I change the email in Active and/or wordpress, it will not be possible for the user to connect with discourse after…

Could you help me please? :worried: I’m lost and I don’t want to **** his account…

Thank you so much! :blush:

Is checking this may help? (it is in wordpress)

Also in wordpress, I can see it too

So, if I change the email in the user wordpress file, and in this file (activemember in wordpress) and in Activemember directly, and I checked the box for bypassing discourse email authentification, I guess it will be okay?

Hi,

I’m asking again because the person who has to change his email will not be able to access it in the next weeks, so he will lost his account if nothing is done…

Can someone help me please??

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Demote them to a regular user, then have them change the email, then promote them back to a staff member.

Staff users must verify both old and new emails for security.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response @codinghorror !

But he is not a staff member, he’s a regular member like others… Does it have another solution? And if I have to change his « status », where can I do it? In discourse? Wordpress? Activemember?

Thank you so much!

From your description, it sounds as if they can change the email themselves? I am not sure if that isn’t possible in your case.

1 Like

No they can’t, and I’m not sure where I can do it by myself without causing problems…

@simon any thoughts? I don’t quite understand the multiple ActiveMember + Wordpress + Discourse setup :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You can check if SSO is enabled between your WordPress site and Discourse by clicking the Discourse link from your site’s dashboard, then Click the SSO options tab, then click the SSO Provider tab. If SSO is enabled through the WP Discourse plugin, the “Enable SSO Provider” checkbox will be checked:

Assuming that it is enabled, go to your Discourse settings page and search for ‘sso overrides email’:

If that setting is enabled, email addresses will be updated on Discourse from the email address that’s provided in the SSO payload. Updating the user’s email address on WordPress should update their email address on Discourse. If the Discourse ‘sso overrides email’ setting is not enabled and you would like users to be able to update their email address on Discourse, check if the ‘email editable’ setting is enabled on your Discourse forum. When that setting is enabled, users should be able to update their email address from their Account page:

4 Likes

Hi Simon,

Thank you so much for your help, with those printscreens it is perfect!

Both checkboxes were checked, so I changed his email in Wordpress, in users’ section and in Activemember360 users’ section, on wordpress.

I got a look directly in Activemember360 and it was effectively changed. But in Discourse, it is still the old one…

Do you know what can I do? Would it be better to let the user change it himself by not enabling “sso overrides email” setting? The “email editable” setting was already checked, but it seems it’s not working…

Thank you so much!

With the way things are setup on your site, the next time the user logs out of Discourse and then logs back in, their email address should be updated on Discourse. You could force the change by logging the user out of Discourse from their admin user page:

3 Likes

Oh nice, thank you so much @simon!! :smiley:

1 Like