Configure an app token for Instagram oneboxes

Quick Question: Did the process change to be “Instagram Basic Display” or I’m very very blind? Because I can’t see the oEmbed option, the closest by definition I’m supposing it’s the Instagram Basic Display.

Quoting:

Instagram Basic Display allows apps to access the Instagram Basic Display API, which provides read-only access to basic data in app users’ Instagram accounts.

Use this tab to configure the API’s authorization window so you can get permissions from users, and to submit your app for App Review when you are ready to switch it to Live Mode.

Note that Basic Display is not an authentication tool . Data returned by the API cannot be used to authenticate your app users or log them into your app. If your app uses API data to authenticate users, it will be rejected during App Review. If you need an authentication solution, use Facebook Login instead.

It, whoever, requires other URLs that are not listed here so I’m not sure, ie:

Client OAuth Setting

Deauthorize Callback URL

(Also maybe there is something that changed because it doesn’t work here I think?)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIRhYzFM7Lu

3 Likes

far as i can tell it’s still oEmbed read with advanced access

1 Like

I see. There is a difference with the tutorial, then.

Instead of being added like any other feature (called “Products” in the UI) from the Dashboard it is now requested from the “Request” section of the “App Review” menu. You select the feature and submit it to review.

Which makes the process kind of loophole-ish because they request a link with a valid oEmbed to approve it… but it doesn’t work because the feature isn’t approved… :sweat:

4 Likes

It works on my account now. I’ll try to summarise with what you need. I’m not particularly techie so I’m not sure I can answer many questions, but I suppose just copy my settings as close as possible to check it all works.

You need both facebook login (I don’t know if instagram graph API is actually needed). Check facebook login works on your discourse installation

Facebook login settings:

Basic settings:

Advanced settings:

3 Likes

Heya folks, wanted to let ya’ll know that as of today, @Iceman’s description remains accurate.

Some of the page layouts have been modified from the guide (:point_up:), but the primary different is oEmbed must be requested after your app has passed the App Review.

From the “App Review” menu, you may make requests:

Screenshot from 2022-04-05 10-52-19

My app hasn’t passed App Review, but @undasein was able to get it working recently, with help from this guide and advice from facebook graph api - Starting using Instagram oEmbed feature - Stack Overflow.

Good luck sharing your `grams, folks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In my request, I did nothing elaborate. I just wrote “I’d like to embed Instagram posts on my forum” and it was approved in one day.

1 Like

How can i access the advanced oembed read? i am not even able to request it because the button is disabled. I did some api on the graph, but the nothing happens even with the 24 hours

Some users have gotten around this by submitting the app for review for a different reason (such as Facebook login), and once it is approved some features are able to be requested, such as “Oembed Read”.

You may want to reach out to the platform support channels to understand what is happening with your account. :+1:

1 Like

oEmbed no longer exists, what do I put it in instead?

I can’t see the Oembed option, which one did you choose?

Has your app passed the App Review yet @danielabc?

1 Like

when I go to the option, the button is off, and I can’t click

when I go to the option, the button is off, and I can’t click

My access was revoked because it wasn’t used for 90 days. Which means, I think, that nobody on my forum posted an Instagram link recently.

So, here’s the current status of the oEmbed Read permission:

To request advanced access to this permission, you need to make a successful test API call. It may take up to 24 hours after the first API call for this button to become active. Learn about testing

How in practice do we do an API call with Discourse in this context to request advanced access again? :thinking:

2 Likes

I think that’s what happened to me too, I don’t know what to do

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIRhYzFM7Lu

Doesn’t it incorporate?

Well, I did everything or what does this post send, but the links do not incorporate!

In my forum and here

I would like to be able to see instagram and tik toks videos and photos on my forum.
Does anyone know how i can do that. i am also willing to pay for it.

Explain us how you use this permission or this feature
The instagram_graph_user_profile permission makes it possible for your app to read the user’s user profile from it. This permission must be used to read fields in an Instagram user profile (for example, the user ID or account type). You can use this permission to read the “User” node (representing the Instagram user) and its perimeters. You may also use this permission to request insights and analytics for advertising, marketing or enhancement of your application using non-identifying or anonymized aggregate data (provided that such data cannot be de-anonymized).

Facebook asks me to record a video.

Is this broken for Instagram embeds? It was working before and sometime in the last couple of days Instagram links no longer embed.

I can’t see the oEmbed app. Instead there is ‘Instagram Basic Display’.

Is this the same thing? My app in Facebook is temporarily suspended (long story), so I can’t muck about with it to find out at the moment.

later…

I note this from oEmbed Read - Graph API - Documentation - Meta for Developers

My embedding has broken again. Will check my developer console to see if it’s anything obvious (even if it is, I might miss it!)

Well, I didn’t miss it!:

I have no idea whether this would fix the broken embeds but I went through the steps anyway.

I AM over the 11 January 2024 deadline so hope it will still be ok.

The steps were fairly simple, just about 4 checkboxes I had to tick to confirm compliance with various matters (that I’d confirmed in the past, and since nothing on my site had changed I believe it should all be fine).

Now I just got to wait a day or two for confirmation.

1 Like