How to remove someone from a Message?

I know it’s possible to add people to a Message topic, but how does one remove a user?

2 Likes

nope, not possible, we may add it at some point. but keep in mind.

you can not reach with an invisible hand into a user’s gmail and retrieve all the messages you already sent them.

1 Like

I thought admins could do this? Maybe only for people who never posted in the private / personal message?

1 Like

I think we planned to but never got around to adding it. Totally legit if you add someone by mistake and want to remove the straight away.

3 Likes

If they haven’t posted in the topic it is 100% legit to remove them, though it should be a privileged action.

1 Like

It a bit tricky cause they may have already got an invite to the message and thus seen it.

I don’t think anyone would expect a time machine here.

But it would be nice to remove them from the thread from there on out.

2 Likes

I think you’d need to track person removed / added events as posts in the stream sort of like topic closed / open.

This was also requested on community.imgur…

4 Likes

Hi there!

Any good news about this topic?

Users cannot remove other users, this has not been implemented at this time. Admins can remove a user from a PM.

2 Likes

Hey @jomaxro, thanks for replying. Can i remove an user from a group trough Discourse API?

Sure! Everything you can do through the UI can be done through the API, the UI is using the API :slight_smile:
Just remove a user from a group while watching the networks requests in your Browser’s Dev tools to see how this API call works. The following How-To has details:

If you have any trouble following this, just let us know :slight_smile:

2 Likes