PM creator can no longer remove users from a PM

Hey everyone!

Sometimes I accidentally add the wrong user in a PM and there isn’t anyway to undo that, except from flagging it for moderation in order for a staff or mod to remove them manually.

What I am requesting is the ability for the creator to remove a user from their PM. They can only have this ability for a small period of time, after the user has been added. Let me know what you think about it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t understand… the PM owner can already add or remove people to their PM at will? There is no limitation here.

1 Like

Unless you are staff? I don’t seem to be able to do that as the message OP?

2 Likes

The “add or remove…” button in your screenshot does not work for you? Let me test on try.discourse.org

1 Like

If pressed you can only add users not remove.

2 Likes

Stand by, I forgot that TL2 adds this ability…

3 Likes

The message is a bit confusing :sweat_smile:

Yes this is definitely a regression, pressing the button does not add the expected “remove” ability to each username in the PM list. cc @zogstrip @joffreyjaffeux

8 Likes

Exactly. Although it says add or remove, you can’t remove… :joy:

4 Likes

Will have a look tomorrow.

7 Likes

Are you sure this is a “can no longer” ? Because I fail to see how it could have worked some day.

3 Likes

Same, pretty sure it never worked that way before.

6 Likes

My question mostly to fix this, is what do we want to do?

• can a non staff remove itself from a topic he/she created?
  • can a non staff remove someone from a topic he/she created? Even if this someone is a staff?
3 Likes

We are talking about Private Messages. TL2 & TL3 users never had the ability to remove a user from their PM, although the button said Add or Remove. This ability is only granted for Mods and Staff and (not 100%) for TL4.

4 Likes

That’s why I posted in the #feature category. We never had the ability to remove a user from a PM unless:

3 Likes

I propose the following fix:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/10030

Basically when you are staff it won’t change anything:

If you are not staff it will now just directly show the invite button with a label instead of the icon:

6 Likes

Hi Joffrey,
Can we remove users for a set time once the PM is made after this? As that just made the message less confusing to others.

Instead of changing the phraseology, is there any chance for the creator of the PM to be able to remove users manually? That’s my initial request that somehow turned into a bug report.

So, as the PM owner with trust level 2 or higher it is possible to add people to the PM but not remove them? :thinking:

I may be misremembering, but I think the PM owner (assuming correct trust level) should be able to add or remove people from the PM at will?

3 Likes

No, that’s not happening. TL1,TL2 & TL3 can add users in a PM whenever they want, can not remove anyone though.

In other words:

TL2 & TL3 (Not sure for TL4)
PM owners -> able to add participants / can not remove them
PM participants -> able to add another participant / can not remove participants / can remove themselves
Moderators & Staff -> able to add or remove anyone
2 Likes