Removing oneself from private messages

Our users are unable to remove themselves from private messages. I was under the impression that all users had this option. Is it only available for admins? Is there a related option in the control panel?

Here is a screenshot a user shared with me

Not sure, this was @sam’s design as I recall.

2 Likes

Thx. @sam is this a bug? I would expect users should be able to remove themselves from unwanted private messages. Ideally users can block other members of the community who are abusive to them

1 Like

Not a bug, just something I did not really think about.

For the time being for the 1 in 1000 times a user needs to remove themselves from a PM

• Option 1. Just mute and ignore with controls at the bottom
  • Option 2. Flag PM and have a moderator do it for you
4 Likes

Is there any particular reason we don’t allow people to remove themselves from a PM at any time? This seems safe to me?

1 Like

No particular reason, but a bunch of code will need to be added

Also, undo is super tricky

1 Like

I don’t feel we need to offer undo here, just a confirm dialog

4 Likes

A bit easier but still not a trivial change, there is currently no fidelity built into the remove from pm permission

3 Likes

Thx. I’ve advised the users to mute the message and then archive it so that it doesn’t show up in their main inbox.

Ultimately, it appears we have users who are starting to abuse the private messages, and it will be helpful to have a way for the system to better recognize that users are blocking a user or taking action against a user.

3 Likes

One change that made it into in 1.7 – if you mute a user it is impossible for them to send you a PM.

5 Likes

Thats very helpful! I didnt even realize the mute user feature.

Perhaps I’m not searching properly, but are there more details about the mute feature in 1.7?

If you go to https://www.helloforos.com/my/preferences, at the bottom of the page, you can list users you want to mute. That’s pretty much all there is to the mute feature :wink:

1 Like

That’s great! I had been looking for it on the actual user page of the user I would wish to mute.

I will inform our users about this feature. Is there a writeup of exactly what muting a user does? (besides preventing them from sending you a PM)

1 Like

I don’t think we’ve ever written one, but you might be interested in reading this topic

2 Likes

@tgxworld I recall you did something here a few months ago.

3 Likes

Yes this is definitely done, users can remove themselves from a PM as of version 1.8 I believe.

4 Likes