How to run simple:press import script?

I see there is a ruby script for importing a simple:press forum into a Discourse forum here:

However there don’t appear to be any instructions on how to run the script.

Would someone please enlighten me on how to do this?

Many thanks in advance :smile:

It’s essentially the same as any of the others. Try using bbpress instructions, for example.

1 Like

Right so where are instructions to run bbpress then, Im struggling at the first hurdle.

i.e. do I ssh into the machine and run a script, or do I run it from the web front end ?

You’ll run a script from a command line. Either on a docker container or a development environment.

So my new site is installed on DigitalOcean server, I can ssh to that machine, then can you please give me an example of what to do next.

Is there an import script that can just import data from a file, if so I can create the file offline if I understand the format of the file.

Hmm, I tried to follow step 3 of Migrating to Discourse from another Forum software, but there are no scripts in the script folder !

Maybe its because I am the /var/discourse folder rather than the ```
path/to/your/discourse_folder but I don’t have my own discourse folder

You need to put the uploads/images somewhere that they can be accessed from inside the container. Maybe in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/uploads/ and then they’ll be in /shared/uploads inside the container. You get into the container with

cd /var/discourse
./launcher enter app

Then you’ll be in /var/www/discourse and see the scripts.

If you’ve a budget, I can set things up for you. See Migrate to Discourse Discussion Platform from your current formum software.

1 Like

By uploads/images you mean .csv file, database image etc

Okay that worked so I now get I was installed onto machine, but then have to go into the docker (virtual machine) , which is where my Discourse instance is actually running and I can then cd /shared/uploads

Well I dont have much budget, and I also like to understand things myself if possible. But if you could get me started with instructions for importing users/topics/forums then Im happy to spend $200 on the advice.