How to show number of downloads for an attachment?

My discourse community heavily uses attachments and they really want to see download numbers, similar to how links show number of clicks.

I found this older discourse discussion that implies the existence of a download counter, but I can’t find any information about how to turn it on or if it got removed.

4 Likes

I was also searching for this answer, then re-read the linked topic and others that referenced something like an attachment counter.

They are talking about topic links counter, which I suppose was used back then to directly link to attachments, but I think this isn’t done this way anymore.

On the linked topic above they’re testing clicks on an attachment which is actually a link to CloudFront, while AFAIK currently new attachments are proxied through a [instance]/uploads/short-url/[hash].[ext] route.

That said, I really think this is hugely useful and I’d also like to know if this is something planned to be supported on Discourse - using this upload route to increment an attachment counter and show this counter beside the attachment link, just like external links.

I realize this is a very old thread, but is there a 2.9.0.beta.10 answer to this question?

Like the original poster, my organization would like to be able to count the number of times attachments are downloaded. Ultimately, a “top 50 downloads with counts” would be a target report.

I’m looking around in Data Explorer, but don’t quite understand the relationships yet.

1 Like