How to take a forum offline temporarily

Hello,

I searched in the settings but I cannot find a way to temporarily disable a forum (such as to disable it for upgrades/changes/etc.). Where would I find such an option?

I want to disable logins that are not administrators and have it show as offline should anyone attempt to sign in.

Thanks

2 Likes

In the backup area, press the “enable read only mode” button.

4 Likes

In that section I only see:

Enable read only mode while taking a backup

There doesn’t seem to be a more ‘permanent’ version. Also if read only would be the only way, can I disable logins as well?

1 Like

6 Likes

Got it thank you! Was looking in the Backup Settings instead.

Also, in the event I wish to disable log ins or take the forum completely offline is this possible?

2 Likes

If you don’t want anyone to access it change your a record and add it to your hosts.

You can disable logins via your site settings, or re-rerun the setup wizard which will also allow you to make your site login required.

1 Like

If you want to disable it totally.

Eg with a msg like “The forum is temporary down due to maintenance”

As I need to move from server 1 (vultr) to server 2 (digitalocean)
and in that case also from url.tld to forum.url.tld

how do I do that?

1 Like

I usually just put the old site in read only mode while making the transition to the new site.

3 Likes

This isn’t working, perhaps due to caching? I’m using AWS and DigitalOcean. Users who are logged in can still browse the old Discourse instance. Can I force a logout of everyone?

Why not stop the container

If I ssh into the droplet, cd into /var/discourse/, and run ./launcher stop app, it outputs:

+ /usr/bin/docker stop -t 10 app
app

But I’m still able to navigate and interact with the old Discourse instance in my other open web browser.

Are you sure you connected to the correct server?

What’s the result of docker ps?

1 Like

Are you sure you connected to the correct server?

Yes, I see it named in the command-line prompt.

What’s the result of docker ps ?

CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES

That says that nothing’s running. Are you sure you’re administrating the correct server?

3 Likes

Discourse caches a bunch of stuff, so sometimes a site will appear to display when it’s down. If the site still shows it you do a hard reload, you’re not logged in to the right server

1 Like

I eventually just gave up and removed the subdomain from public service entirely, thank you.