Hubot Integration

Okay, so Hubot is my new friend. I’m really enjoying how easy it is to play around with it and I’m starting to see if it can be used for business purposes.

The idea:
Program a set of commands that would be useful from a business perspective that relays data from a Discourse instance. Think: Number of new user signups, Latest article posted, Staff Checkin details, etc.

So I’m still very much in the research phase at this point, and the biggest question I have is “Do I need to have a Discourse API Key on my instance to get this data?” Or more specifically, when is a Discourse API Key necessary? I’m thinking it would be ideal for this use case.

Edit:
For those interested, I’ve started writing scripts that do not require any API access and will eventually play around with ones that do require API access

Scripts are located at

5 Likes

You’ll need that API key for write-operations and admin features mostly. Whatever is visible to anonymous doesn’t require the API key.

1 Like

Good to know :slight_smile: Thanks!

I’m just getting into it, but I’ve written a couple of commands already (that do not require any API usage)
https://github.com/cpradio/sp-team-tars/tree/master/scripts

1 Like