I need assistance to set up a new forum. I am time poor and lack the knowledge to set it up, but looking for assistance please

We would like to start a Discourse Forum for our membership of 800+ people. We are a not-for-profit based in Australia and have been using Yammer for many years, however Microsoft no longer supports this platform.
We have trialed Discourse and really like it, so now want to set it up formally, making it as clear and simple as possible, safe for our members, and include easy to read documentation of ‘how to’ for our members.
Can someone assist with this please?
Thanks

3 Likes

Hi there,
As a general rule you should be able to do this yourself very simply, which is generally advised as you know your audience best.

What in particular are you stuck on?

3 Likes

I’m probably time poor more than anything else, but see a real need for our members to have a usable forum to share, collaborate and feel heard.

1 Like

I’d caution you about starting a forum if you don’t have time to actively build your community, but I’m sure you know that.

It should only take you half an hour to set things up via the setup wizard and Discourse ships with pre-built TOS templates and Discobot walks new users through a tutorial when they sign up.

If you still think you need support you’ll likely need to explain specifically what you need in more detail.

4 Likes

Thanks
I will have another look at it and see how I go.
Appreciate your response
Gab

2 Likes

No worries – and I hope I didn’t come across as dismissive.

no problems - just probably lack confidence in the IT space, and as the sole employee of our organisation, sometimes need assistance to get things done.

3 Likes

Totally get it. Because you are on our hosting, if you have questions you can reach out to team@discourse.org and our support team will help out. They won’t set things up but they’ll give you direction and resources.

6 Likes

Welcome to Discourse Meta!

As Hawke mentioned it is a good idea to learn the back end with install process.

Since you do have a starting point with Yammer. You will want to map out your category/categories to se
Operate discussions. You can also use tags instead of additionally

ie Category - PC Computers
Tags - Intel, Amd, Nvidia, Motherboards

If self hosting you also need to look at a mail server. Hosting may include a mail server but not sure.

With self hosting @pfaffman has a few pretty cool things like a Dashboard for a small yearly fee with some support if you have trouble.

3 Likes

I think that most people want to avoid knowing about the install process!

It looks like I’ve also done an import from yammer before, so if you have it can export your yammer data I could get it into Discourse for you and upload it to your hosted forum.

6 Likes