Identify state of stack in admin UI to prompt upgrade when required

Recently I had an issue because [my OS was EOL and I hadn’t noticed] (Upgrade via UI is failing to initiate, simply resets - #8 by Amicable) :blush:. It had been setup 5 years ago and no OS upgrades since.

I run the discourse instance through the admin Web UI on a Digital Ocean droplet and only SSH in when I really have to.

It would help long term maintenance if we were able to see the state of the key elements in the stack through the web UI, such as OS version, maybe docker version too, so that we are alerted well in advance.

3 Likes

It’ll be hard or, more likely, impossible to do that, as docker isn’t supposed to give out any info on the host OS.

I have a dashboard that will do command line upgrades. It sends an email with info like

Upgrade Details

System Details- OS VERSION: Ubuntu 20.04

• Memory:
    • Total Memory: 15996mb
    • Swap: 0mb
  • Disk space:
    • Mount point: / has 51 GB free
  • System uptime: 5 Days

I charge $300/year to use it with my support, but you can join the Free Trial group and use it for free.

1 Like

Thanks for that! I’m a bit surprised it’s so tricky. I was thinking I could expose an endpoint (/admin/os_info) that gathers OS info using basic sys commands & then use Ember to create an admin route & get that info into a simple template. Even better, maybe that someone had already done sthg similar that I could adapt for a simple solution.

But thanks anyway for your pointer. I was hoping to help others that might stall like I did with a largely hands-off installation only to find it seizes up after a few years. I guess I’ll just login more often :smile: