If I switch to a custom domain, is it easy to set up a redirect?

I’m coming to the end of my trial and I think I’d like to start out on a Basic Plan but potentially upgrade to a Standard Plan later, partly for the custom domain. It looks like I’d have to buy the domain separately and connect it to my Discourse forum somehow, which I could probably figure out, but then I’m wondering if I’d be able to redirect the old domain to the new one?

I found instructions for how to do this if migrating from other forum software to Discourse, but it looks very complicated and possibly not even what I’m looking for.

I think this is the guide you are looking for

My favorite part:

1 Like

Thanks! Do you think “we’ll take care of the rest” includes setting up a redirect from the old example.discourse.group to forum.example.com then?

(It’s not obvious to me, particularly as that guide seems to be talking about customers starting fresh on the Standard Plan or above, rather than moving from a .discourse.group domain on the Basic Plan to a custom domain on a Standard Plan while trying to keep the domain pointing to the same forum.)

We do support this, though I can’t recall if it’s automatic or if you need to email us (team@discourse.org, or PM @team here) to set it up.

1 Like