I'm really convinced that I'm being toyed with by a community software

I’m involved in some translation work, when will I see my translated Chinese synchronized to the existing version? It feels like quite an accomplishment to do translation work!

7 Likes

Translations are usually merged on Tuesdays. I like to look at Commits · discourse/discourse · GitHub to check whether new translations were merged because then I want to update Discourse

7 Likes

Discourse is much more modern than many of the other platforms you mentioned, and so it’s foundation is different - written with Ruby, and running with docker - it’s quite a learning, curve but I do think it’s worth it (some of these things like docker will pay off to understand in the future I think, and generally administration is quite smooth and it’s generally very stable with a pretty healthy development ecosystem from what I can tel).

And I’m not surprised there’s very little on the Chinese internet about it… perhaps that will change with time, but ultimately it’s not just a matter of language barrier, there are actual technical barriers as well.

努力吧!你会成功! 你的翻译建议以及这里的问题也会帮别人更顺利得把Discourse设置好

7 Likes

I was previously using the SMF forum software (PHP-based and kind of retro) before discourse and I can understand where you’re coming from. Those forum softwares were a bit more logical and organized with it comes to admin stuff. However, I can happily report that after spending a little less than two days digging around in the Discourse admin section, I’m starting to get quite used to it. So I think it’s just very overwhelming in the very beginning, but the change in Discourse’s approach starts to pay off very quickly as it is incredibly customizable and truly future-proof. I wish you the best of luck!

Edit: spelling errors

8 Likes

I agree discourse is non trivial to set up, and it’s the first large project I’ve interacted with that’s written in ruby / rails.

The only actually difficult issues, however we’re with first getting outgoing emails setup, the suggested email providers won’t even talk to someone running a small volume. There was an additional day invested in setting up incoming emails, which many of our user base insist on … everywhere you find people who don’t care to interact with a new service :woman_shrugging:.

We also bricked our install, somewhere between me trying to do something I didn’t realize was impossible (nesting more than 2 levels of categories), then trying to delete what I’d done … simultaneously to a dev I’d shared root privileges with breaking some things trying to run another site alongside on the same host. … had to reinstall and recreate all categories.

Completely worth it

5 Likes

Thanks! Really appreciated reading all your feedback for our product. We’re definitely trying to simplify the admin experience and will be making improvements in the areas you’ve mentioned.

We also usually have our new hires run through a self-hosted setup on a provider, so we’ll try and run through that again to see what we can streamline.

By the way from your screenshot, the translation key above says

js.notifications.titles.linked_consolidated

so it isn’t “likes” → “点赞”, but should be “link” → “链接”

There is a similar key

js.notifications.titles.likes_consolidated

which would be “点赞” though.

8 Likes

There is a command line to allow nesting subcategories beyond just 1 level. Have to do a search. But have mine set to allow 3 parent\subcat1\subcat2

Brevo com is pretty good in their free teir

I think you mean this?

2 Likes

Yes that is the one. Thanks

1 Like

Hello! I recently tried a self-hosted installation under a Chinese cloud server and it didn’t encounter any complicated problems.

I guess the documentation seems a bit lacking here. In fact, the templates folder of the standard Docker installation already has built-in files to solve the Chinese network environment: web.china.template.yml

But I realized that this file doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the documentation. And this file also needs to be updated to solve the recent problem of China blocking docker.io

7 Likes

I have installed around 20 instances with the official guide (discourse/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub) without any issues…

If you use the Alibaba Cloud region Hong Kong, there are no network environment blockers.

However, I think installing discourse does require some degree of experience in coding or how a website works (DNS, domain, network port, etc.) at least you should be comfortable reading the above guide.

If not, either you need someone to help you or dig the internet to find more documents ( mostly not in Chinese)

A small tip is that using English as the admin interface language will help you search faster and more accurately when you run into an issue, saving you time in finding the word mapping between Chinese vs English. Also in case you need to upload a screenshot asking for help. After you are familiar with it you can switch it back anytime ( I do this when I install my first instance)

3 Likes