Import the User class instead of using User

Hello dear community,
I have some time to fix the warnings in our community. One of them is the following:

Deprecation notice: Import the User class instead of using User (deprecated since Discourse 2.4.0) (removal in Discourse 2.6.0)

I’m trying to debug if from the DevTools but It does not let me enter the file where the warning is coming from. It says:

Could not load content for URL/assets/var/www/discourse/public/assets/_application-d88a387e24ec4397c59d853355d071080a32aa58498a2ea0a509cebee72839c0.js : HTTP status code: 404

Anyway, I entered the safe mode with leaving only the theme. It looks like the warning is coming from my theme. In my theme I found out that I use in an HTML file:

<script type="text/discourse-plugin" version="0.8.13">
api.decorateWidget('header:before', helper => {
  // ... code
  var currentUser = Discourse.User.current();
  // ... code
});
</script>

So my technical questions are as follows:

1. Could the warning come from this line? if so, how should I import User and solve the warning?
  2. How should I debug the compressed JS files from DevTools?

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Change

var currentUser = Discourse.User.current();

to

var currentUser = api.getCurrentUser();

6 Likes

No need to import anything as it says in the message?

No, as the API already provides that for you.

2 Likes

Awesome! thank you very much :slight_smile:
It looks like I have more places to fix like Discourse.Site.currentProp('trustLevels').
Is there a proper documentation I could read in order to understand which method to use instead of the old ones?

Same here, would I need to replace Discourse.Site.currentProp('user_fields') (see here) with something else?

1 Like

I guess, this topic should a support - Discourse Meta topic category.

I have same problem, Deprecation notice: Import the User class instead of using User (deprecated since Discourse 2.4.0) (removal in Discourse 2.6.0) in latest version, 2.6.0.beta3.

My forum runs slowly for first time user visit.

Could you explain me where should I start? How to change that value? From Admin area?

thank you

These deprecation notices are targeted towards theme and plugin developers.

“If you don’t know how to do this, you are not the one who should be doing this”.

3 Likes

As a theme developer, if you’re using more than just User.current(), then the replacement is this:

const User = require('discourse/model/user').default;
2 Likes