Importing from phpBB3


(Coin-coin le Canapin) #377

Hi, I have another idea.

I guess that import_id is equal to the phpbb post id?
Since I merged topics from category A and B in category C,

I could:

  1. Store all the phpbb topics id from topics that belong to my categories A and B in a json file, then
  2. Iterate the json, get the corresponding discourse topic on each iteration
  3. Update the discourse topic by changing their category from C to A or B (maybe via /topics/bulk) in each iteration

Would that do the trick on the paper?

edit : I post here since my message mentions a custom_field relative to the phpbb import, I hope I’m not too much off topic!

The proper way to completely delete hundred of topics via rails?
(Jay Pfaffman) #378

That part is definitely correct!

Something like your idea could definitely work if you have a mapping of the PHPbb post ID with the category you want.

Yeah, this is pretty far afield from anything to do with phpBB. :slight_smile:
@codinghorror will probably want to split this off into its own topic.

(Coin-coin le Canapin) #379

Thank you, I’m going to work on this one.
And sorry about the off topic!

Edit : my script worked well, so here’s how I did, in case it would interest some people who’d like to “demerge” a category after reorganizing their phpbb topics into Discourse:

  1. Installed Data Explorer Plugin
  2. Get the Discourse imported posts from the category of your choice with this query and download the result as a json:
SELECT as d_topic_id,
value as phpbb_topic_id
FROM topics
JOIN topic_custom_fields
ON topic_id =
AND name = 'import_topic_id'
AND category_id = 5

3.Get the phpbb topic list from the category(ies) of your choice from phpmyadmin and export the result as a json:

SELECT topic_id FROM phpbb_topics
JOIN phpbb_forums
ON phpbb_topics.forum_id = phpbb_forums.forum_id
AND phpbb_forums.forum_id = 20

Then you can loop iterate one of your json, and on each iteration if phpbb_topic_id is also present in the second array, then you can move it to a new category of your choice.
To do so I used GitHub - discoursehosting/discourse-api-php: PHP API client for Discourse and added a method to update the category of a topic.

The proper way to completely delete hundred of topics via rails?
Moved from PluXml and phpBB to Wordpress and Discourse, my all-new experience :tada:
(Neil) #380

Any update on phpbb 3.2 support? There are thousands of phpbb forums out there and we’d love to move to Discourse if we can save the community. We have 2000 users and tired of looking like it is 2002. PHPBB is a huge pile of old outdated forum principles, extensions that are obsolete and not supported, sprinkle it with a lot of pain in the UI, etc. Everytime we go into the admin control panel, God kills a cat. And the only thing that is stopping us from moving over to something better is exporting all the existing content.

I’d love to work on it but I have no experience in Ruby and database.

(Jeff Atwood) #381

If you can at least partially sponsor the work we can take it on.

(Jay Pfaffman) #382

Have you got a budget? If not, is your community interested in chief sourcing?

(Coin-coin le Canapin) #383

Hi, quick question.

After I’ve imported my phpbb topics, the messages containing a youtube link don’t embed the video.
It appears that they uses the following syntax:

How can I batch convert all these links to embed videos? The links which are not on a single line shouldn’t be embedded also, obviously.

(Jhf2442) #384


also wanting to convert from phpbb3.2 to discourse

had a look at my DB, post_text still has HTML format (with t, br, i … tags - no idea what t is ?). Also re-ran reparser:reparse multiple time, but nothing changed in the DB. Does somebody have an example of the xml format ?

also could the few devs here give an order of magnitude for the costs for developing a phpbb3.2 converter ? 1k? 5k ? Maybe we could try to get the money together through some kind of kickstarter ?

finally : should we continue (technical) discussion here or start a new thread ?

(Gerhard Schlager) #385

I had some free time lately and used it to work on adding support for version 3.2 – I’ll let you know when it’s ready for testing. Probably in a week or two.

(Jay Pfaffman) #386

If you check out Discourse Migration – Literate Computing you can get some idea what a migration would cost.

Since Gerhard is apparently part-way through his work, it rather complicates giving you a good price since there are many unknowns (I dont’ know about your data or the code the Gerhard hasn’t produced).

If you contact me directly with answers the questions on my above link I could start to give you a ballpark figure if I knew more about your situation. Knowing what I know now, would say that somewhere between $1000 and $5K is probably right. :wink: