Hey all,
I’m browsing on an iPad Pro 13 inch and I think the experience could be improved. There’s a lot of unused space in either orientation of the screen. Here is a screenshot of me browsing.
A discussion on improving iPad screen real estate in Discourse begins with TheDarkWizard sharing a screenshot of browsing on their iPad Pro, highlighting unused space in both orientations. awesomerobot suggests trying safe mode, speculating that the issue may be related to reserving space for an automatic table of contents. However, TheDarkWizard finds no improvement in safe mode. simon shares a similar issue on desktop browsers, suggesting that many users may be viewing Discourse alongside another app, contributing to the unbalanced layout.
Hey all,
I’m browsing on an iPad Pro 13 inch and I think the experience could be improved. There’s a lot of unused space in either orientation of the screen. Here is a screenshot of me browsing.
Is this any better for you in safe mode? I think this may be a consequence of reserving space for the DiscoTOC - automatic table of contents — though maybe that can be adjusted to avoid it in posts without a table of contents… ![]()
I did every option in safe mode (did not know this was a thing, ty), it’s still not great. I remember on our test site we just manually fixed it our selves but I kept forgetting to report it.
If it helps these are the new iPads that just came out. I don’t have any older ones to try.
It can be a similar issue on desktop browsers. This is my normal view of the internet:
With the exception of docs pages, everything works, but it feels a bit unbalanced. Arguably I’m shooting myself in the foot here, but I suspect a lot of people are viewing Discourse along with another app on the same screen.