Improve topic invites

Right now when you send an invite via the button at the bottom of a topic (requires trust level 2 or staff), the recipient gets this email:

Title: [Discourse Meta] codinghorror invited you to join a discussion

codinghorror invited you to a discussion

Merging authentication with our website?

at

Discourse Meta

Discussion about the next-generation open source Discourse forum software

If you’re interested, click the link below:

Discourse Meta

This invitation is from a trusted user, so you can reply to the discussion immediately.

I suggest we make the following improvements to the email:

Title codinghorror invited you to "Merging authentication with our website?" on meta.discourse.org

Jeff Atwood (codinghorror) invited you to a discussion

Merging authentication with our website?

Is it possible to to merge Discourse user authentication with that of our website, so its a single login? any documentation on this?

at

Discourse Meta – Discussion about the next-generation open source Discourse forum software

If you’re interested, click the link below:

Discourse Meta

This invitation is from a trusted user, so you can reply to the discussion immediately.

We only want the first paragraph of the topic in the invite. The email digest code path already contains code to extract the first paragraph of content plus or minus a bit, written by @eviltrout. I suggest we use that.

Also, make sure including the name respects the “don’t show full usernames” site setting which is off by default, but can be on for some Discourse instances that are particularly privacy conscious.

4 Likes

Having the topic title and then a gist makes a lot of sense
bold for the subject clearly shows that this is the topic of the conversation

Since I am still not level 2 my recommendations are based on what I can see here:
The 2nd part of the invite can probably also get improved. to better communicate the origination of the topic.

I am not sure if invites are only targeting guests (by email) or also for existing users.
Having a more familiar look of the forum tag can further improve engagement

Probably also to get rid of the quote format on the forum description as it is not an actual message.

Invites are only for onboarding of brand new users at this time. The input box is for an email address.

In that case my tag recommendation does not have much added value.

is there an option for the person who invite to write a custom message in addition?
or that an invitation for hidden spam

PR sent for this feature:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2521

1 Like

This looks good! One minor fix, the title of the invite is not correct – should be

codinghorror invited you to "Merging authentication with our website?" on meta.discourse.org

but is instead

[Discourse Meta] codinghorror invited you to join a discussion

I edited a little, but there’s a new string substitution needed for the title, and the current string (site title) is not the quite the same as the URL string.

Sorry, I overlooked that! Fixed now:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2523

2 Likes