Some proposed improvements to user invites

Few things still missing here, @techapj is on it.

1. The invite button still does not appear for private topics, but should, only if you are an admin. Presumably admin will be smart enough to include the right groups so the user can actually see the topic they’re being invited to… we hope :wink:

2. Right now there is zero topic context included in a topic invite… but there should be. I wrote up a spec to improve the topic invite email to include the first para of the topic as context.

3. I don’t know that I support having the entire topic included in the invite email. I think for that you should use the API, and maybe @techapj can write up a howto sample for that after he’s done with #1 and #2 above.

Remember there is a distinction between “pushing the invite button” which exists on

• your user page, in the invites section, if you have trust level 2+ or are a staff member
  • every topic, if it is a public topic and you have trust level 2+ or are a staff member
  • private topics, if you are an admin

… and using the bulk invite upload facility, which exists only on your user page, if you are an admin. Behind the scenes they are the same code, of course, it’s just a question of whether you want to push a button 10, 100, or a thousand times… :wink:

3 Likes