Improving the Groups page for 1.7

I think I confirmed that. :wink:

1 Like

Yea only visible groups are shown on the group page. Hmm how did you find out that meta has 29 groups though?

2 Likes

I know a guy that knows a guy :wink:

10 Likes

What else is affected by this? Can it safely be used to hide automatic groups on the groups page or does something else break?

We’re getting ready to close this up for the 1.7 release, so speak now or hold your peace for … a while :wink:

There’s some odd scrolling behavior here on Meta at /groups. I’m on Windows 10, Chrome - when I scroll down it shows the spinning circle like it’s loading more groups, but then nothing displays (the spinner disappears too). Are there more groups to display, or should the spinner not display?

2 Likes

Would be good if the groups list page could show correct membership action buttons (“Leave” if the user is already a member)

Oops fixed in
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/502e114c6026673c4beb14f5b2e6b0e180f9213e

Fixed in

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/9db5d5b6a79a367bb2663a54b1334fe233c64230

Thanks for reporting.

4 Likes

Thanks @tgxworld - great job on the speedy bug fixes.

Just one more I think - would be good to get the font-awesome spacing corrected if possible (see “Cyclists” group display below):

4 Likes

On a specific Group’s page, if there are no Posts or Topics, I am seeing the message “There are no topics by members of this group”, yet there is no button to Add a Topic or Post.

1 Like

Three things noticed when showing this new functionality to a colleague:

• If the feature is turned on, it is possible to leave a group from the group page, but not to join. To join, you have to go back to the group list and find the link there. It would be suitable to display the join button directly on the group page as well.
  • “Owner” is displayed below the name of group owners. This terminology makes no sense to most mortals, so change it to “Group owner” or perhaps display the moderator icon next to their name instead.
  • As I mentioned earlier, Last seen and last post date are still displaying blank above actual dates, which is less useful esp on our site where many members have still not signed into discourse. They noticed this and agreed it would make sense to display blanks below.

We’re excited about the functionality! Nice work. :rocket:

5 Likes

If they aren’t moderators in the real sense I don’t think repurposing the icon is the best idea.

I like the term “maintainer” as an alternative to “owner”. At least for what gets displayed to others.

4 Likes

I use Groups to manage access to opt-in categories and it would be good to have a list of posts in those categories (only) on a group page. At the moment, the group page shows all posts by members, regardless of their relevance to the group

1 Like

You can modify the “owner” label in Admin/Customize/Text Content. Seems flexible enough.

1 Like

Would still like to see the default sort order based on groups name not quantity of members.

This was a bug that has been fixed.

Fixed as well :slight_smile:

Yea this makes sense. I can’t recall why I sorted by user count in the first place.

Fixed the CSS for this as well.

Thank you all for the feedback!

8 Likes

Nice work, guys! This is fantabulous and I’m excited. :tada:

I updated, and noticed a few things:

• when sorting by posts or last seen, two users always appear at the top of the list. both admins, as it happens.
  • when sorting by posts or last seen, blanks are omitted - is this intentional? I’d prefer to still see those members, just below the members who have posted or were seen.
  • when I select the leave member button, it doesn’t change at all. It also doesn’t immediately get removed from the group list.
  • after leaving a group, the member list disappeared. I’m not even sure why that is, since the activity is still visible. if the member list is not visible, then activity should also not be visible. admins should be able to see everything though whatever the visibility settings.
  • generally I’m liking the new user profile like look for groups. I do miss the link back to the groups list, though, and perhaps the leave group button should be in the top right where the message button is on the user profile page and it should be blue and not red.
  • I hope there’s a plan for a summary page, aggregating stats for the group like on the user summary page! :rocket:
  • I love the group action logs! can we have this for users too?
  • it would be helpful to be able to sort the group list by name and number of members, to show how busy they are.
5 Likes

Fantastic work! I’m loving the new improvements :heart_eyes:

Here is a little something I noticed today while I was seeing the new changes while logged out of my account:

I don’t see the logs of course, but I do see the edit interface. I’m not sure whether or not the ‘Activity’ tab should be visible to everyone, but I don’t see it while logged in.

6 Likes

In the admin on my site that I just upgraded to latest, there’s a bit of a buggy settings panel.

1 Like

Out of interest, I’d still like to have the +New button at the top of the list as one of my sites has a lot of groups and adding them and then editing them is tough.

Per this one (in the OP)

1 Like