Improving the Groups page for 1.7

Some additional comments/bugs:

• The Request Membership button triggers a PM to the entire group. The PM should be addressed to owners of the group only.

• The individual group pages should have a Request Membership/Join button. Many users will visit the individual group directly and it’s a dead end if they can’t request membership/join from that page.

• Seeing some odd behavior on logged in/out and depending on whether a user is a member of a group.
    If logged in but not member of the group, just the group name and description is shown.

7 Likes

I’m sure that’s an easy fix. Are there more groups admin settings coming? If not I don’t know if a new section is needed.

Also links back and forth between the group admin page and the new group edit page and group profile. Finding myself struggling a bit with multiple tabs open.

This is done already as of a few days. You should update again.

1 Like

Many mailing lists support contacting the owners of a group/list by appending something to the email. For example, in Sympa, I have a list named hd. Sending an email to hd@lists.domain contacts the entire list. Sending a message to hd-request@domain contacts the owners. Perhaps Discourse could do something like @team-owners (or @team-maintainers if the name changes) to accomplish this.

2 Likes

I just noticed it’s possible to set up a group that users can leave and join on their own, that also awards a trust level. That should be disabled or come with a warning.

Also, it is possible to leave a group for group owners, but then not possible to become owner again without admin intervention via the group admin settings. That too should come with a warning or it should be reversible in case of an accidental click.

4 Likes

The downside to using email is that the workflow doesn’t stay in Discourse. I think it’s preferred to keep all the tasks in one place and out of email.

For the Request PMs, I would also like to confirm TL0 users can submit requests.

2 Likes

Oh no, I wasn’t suggesting using email! I was using mailing lists as an example. I was suggesting a special Discourse mention for group owners. My concern is the default PM limit for number of recipients, and more than 5 group owners.

2 Likes

Ahh good point. Fixed in

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/ad4a96d38765588a4288aaf760b92509f1ef331d

9 Likes

Thanks for your recent work @tgxworld - you’ve resolved the problem I saw with the invisible member list and join/leave button on individual group pages. Also pleased to see the font-awesome alignment fixed too :+1:

5 Likes

Could this be a customizable option? It would be great to have:

• Group page option: choose the default number you notify on each group. If not, it could be just a checkbox to enable or disable the 5 people limit.

• Post/mention option: choose how many people you notify on each mention. I guess this one is a bit more difficult to achieve, but a workaround would be to change the previous option manually each time you want to post (only if you are group owner)

1 Like

Not sure we need any cap since only owners are specified in the to: line. I guess last 5 active owners adds a sanity limit, but do people generally have more than 5 owners. Also, perhaps all owners should get the PM.

The larger issue IMO in the @mention in the body of the owner notification email. A workaround is here.

This @mention issue and who gets notified isn’t really related to this group feature, but the specific PM generated could use a fix.

2 Likes

Sorry if I misexplained my suggestion. I think the PM issue is ok now, but a mention in a post is only notifying the 5 last active members too. That’s why IMO you should be able to set the number, because on a normal post you usually mention a group to notify all members, or simply you can think that 5 is a low number for whatever topic. (I think 5 is a perfect number for the group request).

1 Like