In polls: Make results and users only visible to admins

Continuing the discussion from Elections Plugin:

#pr-welcome on this feature.

@jomaxro @angus what do you suggest the syntax for this should be?

8 Likes

At the moment we use public=true to define whether who voted for what is shared publically. I tried to think of how to keep this as valid syntax, but because polls would now have more than two states, ie. not binary, having a true/false flag will not work. The poll is not public vs. private, the results are.

So I could see results=staff-only users=public and users=staff-only as the valid options.

Default (no results= or users= syntax): Same as current default. Aggregate results public, users private.
users=public: Replaces current public=true syntax. Both aggregate results and users are public.
users=staff-only: New feature. Aggregate results public, users visible to staff only.
results=staff-only: New feature. Aggregate results staff-only, users private.
results=staff-only users=staff-only: New feature. Aggregate results staff-only, users staff-only.
results=staff-only users=public: Not sure on this one. Ideally it should be invalid, but I think in practice it should function the same as results=staff-only users=staff-only.

5 Likes

What about the author of the post containing the poll? Should it be possible for the author to limit who can see the results as well?

In my opinion that would be a separate request/PR. There are additional issues that come with involving the restricting the visibility of the poll to the post owner.

I would like this in order to keep the popularity bias from influencing the results of an election. People tend to vote for the most popular candidate.

1 Like