Keep poll results hidden?

(Gordon Ryan) #1

Pretty sure this isn’t possible, but is there a way to keep poll results hidden? I want to do a secret ballot where only I know the results (until I want to announce them).

Ability to Hide Poll Results
(Régis Hanol) #2

No, that’s not possible right now but it’s already on my todo list :wink:

(Gordon Ryan) #3

Woooo! That’s great to hear :slight_smile:

(Kane York) #4

So does this make 3 result modes? loose (default), strict (vote then view, or give up your vote then view), and secret (no view until closed).

(Sam) #5

Does this happen to be currently in the works? Just came across a situation it’d be handy for, wanted to check in and see.

(Régis Hanol) #6

Still is on my TODO list.

(Sam) #7

Cool cool, thanks for droppin’ in. :slight_smile:

(Gordon Ryan) #8

Still on the TODO list? :wink:

(Régis Hanol) #9

Yes, that’s still on my TODO list :wink:

(Gordon Ryan) #10

Sweet. We do contests every week that involve voting by our game’s players and it would be great if they couldn’t base their voting on how other players in their Guild/team are doing. Cheers!

(Alex Salvador) #12

Sorry for reviving this topic, just to know whether the ability to keep poll results hidden is still being considered for implementation ?
My use case is for using Discourse as an LMS and using polls as Multiple Choice Questionnaires : hiding the answers so far is important not to hint toward the correct answer…

I saw the manual / CSS solution by cpradio in this other topic, but this would be rather tedious when using a large number of polls :

(Régis Hanol) #13

So basically only the OP can view the results unless the poll is closed?

What about staff members?

(Alex Salvador) #14

Or simply nobody (not the OP, not staff) can see the results until the poll is closed…

(Jeff Atwood) #15

This is a weird use case.

I guess that’s not a bad feature request though @zogstrip, maybe for 2.1. It would create some tension / excitement about coming back for when the poll is over, which I could see as a good thing?

(Gordon Ryan) #16

That was essentially my aim when I started this thread a few years ago; it’s an excitement builder meant to drive people back to the poll for results at the end of a period of voting (in my case, for contests). I ended up just using CSS to hide the results, but that obviously doesn’t obscure the data for anyone who is knowledgeable about such things.

When I roll out our next forum for our new game, I’d love to have that capability!