Install v1.7.2 using Docker

Hi there,

First post so hello :slight_smile:

I am trying to install Discourse on a Digital Ocean Droplet all goes well, except I need to run a script that only works with v1.7.2 (long story just trust me!)

Tried everything I can think of to get Docker to do a clean install of v1.7.2 - does anyone know the correct procedure please?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Kel

In app.yml where it says ā€œtests-passedā€ you can put the the Git ID of the version you want.

So I think you want

version: 839a5e6e427bdffb87596f8fbe51c37796e40da3

version is in the file, but commented out.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I searched and found that solution earlier (it works using ā€˜v1.7.2ā€™) but it seems to be only be able to do that as a rebuild the .yml file doesnā€™t exist until after the newest version has been installed.

These are the instructions I followed:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

I need to be able to change the version number between the install and the setup.

All I have managed to do so far is install and then downgrade, thatā€™s not what I am looking for.

The reason for this is that there seems to be some kind of database incompatibility with the script I am trying to run and the rebuild doesnā€™t fix it - although this is a guess!

I feel like I am missing something obvious.

You can create app.yml manually (there is a template in /var/discourse/samples/standalone.yml) ā€“ but if you already bootstrapped and want to downgrade, this is easy as long as you are willing to lose your data. Simply update app.yml, then run this:

cd /var/discourse/
./launcher stop app
rm -rf shared/standalone/ # wipe shared volume
./launcher rebuild app

:warning: Executing these commands will completely reset Discourse! All content, users and settings will be deleted.

4 Likes

I defintiely want to lose the data, everything needs to go so itā€™s a complete fresh installā€¦
This is probably what I was missing - thank you!!!

Iā€™d done everything but this one line!!!

Thank you!!!

You can cp samples/standalone.yml containers and edit it by hand, or use ./discourse-setup and hit a control C after itā€™s through configuring. Thereā€™s an undocumented 5 second pause before it starts the build, for just that purpose.

3 Likes

Brillaint, this is the magic dust I was looking for and couldnā€™t find :smiley:

I am already rebuilding and know itā€™s working as Iā€™ve seen all the database commands run again - so have a lot of confidence I am going to end up with a 1.7.2 and corresponding database!

We will see, I will let you know!

Thanks again :smiley:

2 Likes