Installation failed on Debian 11 (ProxMox/KVM)

Hello, I attempt to install the Discourse Docker container (using this guide: discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub) to a new server with a freshly installed Debian 11. But it fails with the error message appended below. The message itself doesn’t provide much information what happens - but it suggests that there is a problem with accessing GitHub (github.com can’t be resolved). The server itself is a virtual machine managed by ProxMox/KVM. Can someone help with this problem please?

I, [2023-01-10T14:10:50.610422 #1]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && git fetch --depth 1 origin tests-passed
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/discourse/discourse.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && git fetch --depth 1 origin tests-passed failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 141 exit 128>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.1.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"code", "cmd"=>["git reset --hard", "git clean -f", "git remote set-branches --add origin main", "git remote set-branches origin $version", "git fetch --depth 1 origin $version", "git checkout $version", "mkdir -p tmp", "chown discourse:www-data tmp", "mkdir -p tmp/pids", "mkdir -p tmp/sockets", "touch tmp/.gitkeep", "mkdir -p                    /shared/log/rails", "bash -c \"touch -a           /shared/log/rails/{production,production_errors,unicorn.stdout,unicorn.stderr,sidekiq}.log\"", "bash -c \"ln    -s           /shared/log/rails/{production,production_errors,unicorn.stdout,unicorn.stderr,sidekiq}.log $home/log\"", "bash -c \"mkdir -p           /shared/{uploads,backups}\"", "bash -c \"ln    -s           /shared/{uploads,backups} $home/public\"", "bash -c \"mkdir -p           /shared/tmp/{backups,restores}\"", "bash -c \"ln    -s           /shared/tmp/{backups,restores} $home/tmp\"", "chown -R discourse:www-data /shared/log/rails /shared/uploads /shared/backups /shared/tmp", "[ ! -d public/plugins ] || find public/plugins/ -maxdepth 1 -xtype l -delete"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 128

Hello and welcome @lukasjelinek :slight_smile:

There have been a couple of reports of this recently, though I’m afraid no solution as yet. I believe @hiddenseal moved their instance to a fresh server and that solved it for them, and @littleviolette’s issue is still outstanding:

Is there anything similar in those topics that sounds familiar to you that may help us track down the cause?

It looks like that the latter one is the same case (although on a different Linux distribution).

We couldn’t figure out what went wrong with the existing server. We ended up copying the Discourse instance to a new droplet and it works again.

2 Likes