Installing Plugins with Git

Hey there,
Sorry for asking, but I don’t understand much about how i’m supposed to install plugins. I don’t know anything about Git(hub) so I feel quite lost.

Any help possible ?
Thanks.

1 Like

To install plugins you need to use an app to ssh into your server and edit a text file. The git repos are where the plugin code lives, and your part is adding those URLs in a list in the text file and then rebuilding Discourse so it retrieves the plugins and installs them for you.

You still need to log into to your server remotely (search ssh) and edit a text file from the command line (probably with vi or nano), and then run the commands in the post you referenced. Read through it a few times, it might be more understandable now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:
I understand the running now, I’ll try searching for a full guide on how it all works.

I’m used to other forum softwares such as myBB, phpBB or XenForo but got interested in Discourse after really discovering it. Is it worth going on with it if I don’t know much -if not anything- about ssh ?

2 Likes

If you followed the standard install guide then you already know pretty much everything you need to to install a plugin.

4 Likes

@Stephen Bookmarked, thank you.
One last question, which is more about installation (more-or-less) so it’s not the right category; does it absolutely have to be a cloud server for it to work, or a ‘basic’ one (VPS/Shared Hosting) works aswell?

1 Like

Shared hosting will not work. For them to share the server, shared hosting doesn’t give you true ‘root’ access. If you don’t have complete control of the VPS the install will fail to install and configure some of the components.

A $5 VPS at DigitalOcean is your best starting point, the guide works perfectly in those conditions.

4 Likes

I was exactly like you before and I was even pretty afraid when I learned than Discourse must be (preferably) installed from command line in a linux server. How scary.

Turns out that all the standard stuff (like installing a plugin) is, in the real world, very easy to do as long as you have the tools.

2 Likes

@Stephen I’ll take a deeper look at the hostings. Thanks again Stephen.
@Canapin Hopefully, I’ll get used to it quickly enough ! Thank you, that’s reassuring.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.