šŸ“£ Introducing default chat channels (automatically add users)

Yep, the job runs every hour and should cover this scenario.

Definitely open to suggestions to improve the copy here to make this part more clear!

7 Likes

Well, the current copy is ā€œAutomatically add all new and existing usersā€, which is clearly false.

How about ā€œAutomatically add users who [whatever the criteria are]ā€?

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a first pass:

7 Likes

Check hourly which users have been active in the last 3 months. Add them to this channel if they have access to the Beginners Feedback category.

Could I get some clarification on what ā€˜accessā€™ means exactly? I have a category where everyone can see, but only certain groups can create or reply. It seems to me that the users who can only see shouldnā€™t be added to the channel automatically, and shouldnā€™t be able to participate at all in that channel until they are in the group. Maybe it works this way already, but I want to make sure before moving forward. Thanks!

3 Likes

As of December, ā€œreplyā€ permission is required to be able to join (access) a channel:

So I believe this now works as youā€™d like it to work for your scenario.

5 Likes

Thanks Dave, that is how I would like it to work, unfortunately I just tried it and it doesnā€™t work that way. I have my category set up like this:

The Beginners group only has 2 members right now, the Beginner_Support group has 12. The channel after turning on Automatically add users now has 774 members, which is probably about the right amount of active users for everyoneā€¦

3 Likes

OK, yep, that doesnā€™t look like what Iā€™d expect at this point. Iā€™ll take a look tomorrow and let you know what I find.

3 Likes

I do see the issue youā€™re seeing here. I still need to spend a bit more time tinkering to understand the details of what is and isnā€™t working properly so we can get something queued up to address this.

5 Likes

OK, hereā€™s what Iā€™m seeing for a user ā€œBobā€ who only has ā€œSeeā€ access to the category for the channel:

1. I do see Bob in the members list (unexpected)
  2. Bob does not see the channel in the sidebar initially (ok)
  3. Bob does not see the channel in /chat/channels/browse (ok)
  4. Bob does see the channel if he visits /chat/c/${channelname}/${id} (unexpected)
  5. Bob does see notifications when someone mentions him in the channel (unexpected)
  6. Bob does see the channel in his sidebar once he gets a mention or posts in the channel after visitng it directly (unexpected)

Will add this to our list to fix up.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Allow visitors and search engines to see chat channels

We merged the following pull requests which should address this issue:

Initially, we had planned to allow read-only users to preview chat channels, but designing the user experience for that turned out to be a bit more complicated than we originally anticipated, so we removed that feature for now in the name of simplicity.

Note: if you had channels set up with auto-join that included groups with read-only permissions, you may need to edit the channel settings once to force the membership list to synchronize with these new rules.

5 Likes

That works brilliantly, thank you Dave!

4 Likes