Introducing Discourse Discover

Three days ago I fix waf block but I’m not listed yet: https://segredin.com/

4 Likes

I agree. Can we get rid of the “International” category and instead add a filter to display sites by their default language? Each site could also indicate its default language with a subtle eg en or fr etc.

Maybe we could also add a country filter, for the home country of the site or if it is obviously geared towards people in a specific country?

11 Likes

Filters are fun. I can’t be the only person who likes clicking on them. Adding a Country filter would allow you to highlight Discourse’s international appeal.

4 Likes

Sorry, but that is really anglo centric point of view. For me English is other language :smirk:

7 Likes

Finnish version could read: “Muut kielet” then. If the display language is in English then “Other Languages” would make sense as category for all other languages, or they could just have a list of each country/language.

1 Like

But it would actual mean ”Other languages than English, including Finnish”. That page isn’t that dynamic it would change content per language.

No big deal, only really irritating because it is always English vs. rest of the world :joy:

3 Likes

At the moment, we don’t have enough sites per language to warrant a language filter. French, Spanish, Portuguese have 4-5 sites each, but the rest have one or two sites.

It’s a little tricky to label this grouping, because it includes communities in non-English languages but it also includes multilingual communities (i.e. English sites that have categories in at least one other language). A different label (other than “International”) would need to convey all that and fit in the available space on desktop and mobile.

4 Likes

That makes sense. Then let’s just remove the “international” filter and let :rainbow: rainbows flourish. People can find out for themselves from the descriptions whether they can read the forum and want to be part of it.

4 Likes

What wonderful forums Discourse has. :heart_eyes:
I’m looking forward to the day when my site will be added.
PVPFARM :crossed_swords:

3 Likes

That page have no index tags? I cant see it on Google . :confused:

1 Like

That’s because we haven’t officially launched it yet. Once we do, it’ll be indexable by Google and other search engines.

7 Likes

We’re getting to close to an official launch for this feature, and a big step in that direction is adding support for Discover in the DiscourseHub mobile app. I am happy to announce today that we have beta releases ready for the app. If you’d like to help us test the changes, please use the following links to install the beta on your device(s):

iOS (for iPhone, iPad and macOS): Join the Discourse Hub beta - TestFlight - Apple
Android: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.discourse

9 Likes

This is amazing! I join beta Good work guys

3 Likes

Is it staying on discover.discourse.org then? As this is where the button sent me and its the link in the new blog post.

6 Likes

Yes, correct, discover.discourse.org is now officially launched, that’s the final URL. (You’ll notice we’ve updated the main discourse.org website header with a link to Discover as well.)

11 Likes

Congratulations for this new launch!!!

:discourse: :fire_extinguisher: :fire: :fire: :sun_with_face: :star2: :ocean:

6 Likes

Seemed like minor bug few days ago hasn’t happened again since then: the discourse discover page didn’t show any sites, and the search bar searched the meta site instead of community list:

bug :

3 Likes

What browser are you using @Architect ?

2 Likes

Believe that was Safari

3 Likes

Looks like you ran into this issue: iOS doesn't load CSS sometimes when navigating between subdomains, very much a Safari-only problem. (I and multiple other team members are running into that issue daily, though, it’s very disorienting, but not sure there’s much we can do, it feels like an upstream Webkit problem. We’ve reported it in the Webkit bug tracker, too.)

6 Likes