Introducing Discourse Discover

I just wondered how the order of featured sites is determined?

3 Likes

This would be nice, yeah. Will look into it.

Currently it’s based on two criteria: sites we deem noteworthy + topic activity over the past month. This isn’t the final ordering criteria, this is something we are still thinking about. Personally I’d like to see a bit of randomization so that there is some variety at the top of the list. It’s tricky, but it’s something we will likely revisit soon.

10 Likes

Yeap, but when they do, it would be useful

2 Likes

I have installed it as instructed since the announcement. I hope there will be instructions on the selection criteria for listing.

What do you mean by instructions on the selection criteria?

1 Like

Are there any requirements for my speech to be featured on the discourse discourse page?

2 Likes

Your site must be a Discourse forum that is public facing. Those are the only requirements. The URL you linked to was rejected because it doesn’t work and doesn’t appear to be a Discourse forum, even if/when it was.

2 Likes

There was some mistake, today I discovered that my forum page is having problems

Oops
The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Detailed information about the error was logged, and an automatic notification generated. We’ll take a look at it.
No further action is necessary. However, if the error condition persists, you can provide additional detail, including steps to reproduce the error, by posting a discussion topic in the site’s feedback category.

I am researching this issue to fix it soon, and hope you will visit my page again at https://businesslab.vn to take a look.
I have done development and have many customizations to support users above.

1 Like

So neat to see my relatively small site cracking top 60 :face_holding_back_tears:

Any chance I could get an “Interests” tag on it?

Summary

9 Likes

Just enabled earlier this week.

Is there an expected lag or sanity check time before showing up on the site?

3 Likes

Can you let me know the URL of your instance? We have been approving submissions regularly, but it’s possible something got missed.

One more thing to note: your instance needs to be up to date. If it’s more than 2-3 weeks old, we won’t see it on our end (because we switched how the reporting data was formatted).

5 Likes

http://discourse.deeber.net

Thanks!

3 Likes

Seems your site is not public

1 Like

The site is public in that anyone can request an account which has to be reviewed and approved.

It’s not public if public means all account requests are automatically approved.

If this means the site won’t be listed, I understand.

2 Likes

If you consider this public, I’m interested in what you think a private discourse would look like

4 Likes

Unfortunately, yes, it means that the site won’t be listed at this time. It’s an interesting use case (a site with manual approval of each account), but we are limiting the directory to fully public sites. Maybe we’ll change this policy in the future, but for now, sorry, we can’t include it.

4 Likes

I suppose my differentiation would be private would be closed / invitation only.

My site is super small and folks that join are mostly referrals or friends of friends with common interest.

We do get a very small number of requests to join from outside the group that we started with.

Not a big deal- being listed on the site appeals to my sense of vanity/pride in what we built on the discourse platform.

Not wishing to make a mountain out of a molehill. :hugs:

9 Likes

Have enabled this setting for my site, one question would be if site promotion by cdck would publish anything that isn’t already public posted what can be indexed by web crawlers, or also categories that can only be seen by logged-in users?

My site is fully public but with the trust tier categories can be good to not have all topics entirely public except to members of the public who are community members.

1 Like

Very proud to be listed here but would like to be tagged as “gaming” if possible

6 Likes

Looks like your site is closed, not viewable to the public.

Requiring new user accounts be reviewed/manually approved wouldn’t mean site is not public, those are different settings.

Meaning viewable to the public who do not have an account can still read what is published in public category.

2 Likes