Invites do not work when SSO is enabled

(Mohit Gupta) #1

I just came to know that Invites do not work when SSO is enabled. Is their any way or any plugin so that Invites work even if SSO is enabled.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

No, because invites must come from the parent site in that case. The parent site is responsible for user identity, not Discourse.

(Michael Downey) #3

Sort of.

If you are using SSO, the “Invite” button still works in a topic. However, you can only use it to send a notification to a user that’s already registered has an account already in Discourse.

(Mehmet Dogan) #4

I have SSO enabled on my site, and I get the following error when I try to invite to a topic by email:

Sorry, we couldn’t invite that person. Perhaps they have already been invited? (Invites are rate limited).

I assume this error is due to the SSO since the person was being invited the first time. If that is the case, it is not clear at all.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Hmm, can you verify the above case @techAPJ?

(Mittineague) #6

I invite only rarely, but I got the same error message yesterday when entering an email address to invite to a topic. I have at least once in the past been able to invite using an email address, though most times I invite by member name.

I had assumed a site setting had been changed, but maybe not?

(Mehmet Dogan) #7

@Mittineague: I had assumed a site setting had been changed, but maybe not?

My site is brand new, other than SSO all settings should be default.

(Arpit Jalan) #8

In case of SSO enabled sites you can invite only existing users (via username or email). If the user doesn’t exist or if one of these conditions isn’t satisfied then invite will fail with the message you are seeing.

As an Admin on my local dev instance with SSO enabled I was able to invite an existing user via email successfully. If the email was of non-existent user than I was getting the same error message, so my guess is that the email you are entering is of non-existent user.

That said the error message can be improved here but this change is not trivial since we are checking for several conditions in a single line. I’ll add it on my long term list.