iOS 12: Selecting text / quoting not working after using the composer

Multiple persons have reproduced this on various iOS 12 devices.

One cannot select (“paint”) text with a long press after message composer has been used. So repro steps are simply:

1. Edit a post, save
  2. Try quoting something with a long press on the text - nothing happens, the UI dialog does not appear.

Broken since 2.1 stable (we use only stables), reproed in Try. Basic UX regression, so a solid candidate to be backported in the stable branch.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report, I can reproduce this. Will look for a solution.

3 Likes

I spent a few hours looking into this issue, and I couldn’t figured out how to solve it.

But I did notice though that this can happen on any website, focusing on an input and then focusing out of it causes the text on the page to become unselectable. This points to a general iOS 12 bug, not a Discourse-specific bug.

Here is a quick video done with the Simulator to demonstrate the issue on google.com for example:

10 Likes

ios12 has multiple improvements on text selection. So I wouldn’t be surprised if there were bugs with it.

3 Likes

And I should add, I don’t have iOS 11, but @Blake does, and he tested the OP’s issue with iOS 11, and he couldn’t reproduce the issue in iOS 11.

1 Like

Looks like this isn’t our bug @ljpp . Did you want to write Apple and tell them how they should restructure their development process to make it better in your professional opinion? :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve also experienced this issue a lot, and it’s just been brought up by a member on the forum:

I wonder if we could find some kind of workaround - or at least figure out what it is about the action of bringing up the composer window which triggers the bug.

I’m on Beta 2 of iOS 12.1 build on my iPhone and cannot repro this issue, quoting is fine. So please check this build (16B5068i) and it may be Apple has fixed it? I certainly saw a lot of broken things wrt Discourse on Safari 12 during the PB.

8 Likes

Looks like it’s fixed, thanks!

7 Likes

Thanks, good to know.

Sadly the fix doesn’t seem to be included in 12.0.1, which was publicly released today.

Keenly awaiting 12.1 public release… :selfie:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 25 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.