iOS app just shows white screen

Still not able to type in the beta app for me. Affecting both meta and the other board I have configured.

Saying this could be an iOS bug seems a little disingenuous given that these problems only started occurring with the new Discourse Hub. The reviews on the App Store seem to indicate many people are affected by the regressions in 1.4.x

FWIW: Crashlytics beta install process is much more clunky/painful than the TestFlight. I had to manually uninstall before I could install the beta? Had to manually copy install link from gmail to paste into Safari. So much friction.

1 Like

To confirm if it is an svc bug or not

• install gmail app
  • send email to self with link to site
  • click link it will open with svc
  • try to repro

If it happens in gmail as well it is an svc (safari view controller) bug

2 Likes

I don’t have to do any of this. Only click link in email and it installs.

Also not saying beta is perfect but testflight is far from perfect just a quick look at twitter will tell you more https://twitter.com/hashtag/testflight?lang=en

Also related to this:

So please, I’m all for fixing bugs, but let’s have constructive discussions here, I’m not trying to avoid anything, just it’s far more complicated than what you seem to think, and it’s iOS world, I can’t fix any issue instantly.

1 Like

Of course, I’m not saying either is perfect, just that Crashlytics UX had much more friction in my experience.

Take a look https://imgur.com/a/5JoJPOx

I’m sorry but I’m not changing this for now. Maybe try to force open in safari?

I’m not asking you to change it, I’m just pointing it out

What I could do though, is creating a test bundle id so both apps could live together, I would prefer this anyways using testflight or not.

1 Like

I’m posting this from inside Gmail @sam without any issues

I’m an ex-Apple Technology Evangelist, so let me know if I can be of assistance in any way.

Are you properly authenticated with the app, I saw issues that during the “auth” flow you get a terribly broken SVC instance, can you try removing meta and re-adding it including the full auth flow?

BTW if you can help, any help getting visibility on this will be extra appreciated.

1 Like

I’m not sure how I could be improperly authenticated? But anyway, I removed my account and added it again (auth in app and on site) and now I see no keyboard at all.

Is this on 180 build I just sent you ?

1 Like

Yes, installed a few minutes ago.

This is very odd, for a while today the keyboard was working in the hub app.

But now it is not working again.

edit: force quit and restart and now keyboard is working again, I will see for how long.

request: it would be great to be able to reorder the list of sites when in edit view.

I believe you can, it’s just using the drag and drop API instead of the re-order API which means the three vertical bars to indicate re-ordering are missing.

1 Like

Oh, wow. Thanks for that.

This design is really very far from standard iOS. Is it closer to Android?

Either way, why reinvent the wheel with tried and tested UI elements? Rhetoricial question.

2 Likes

Agreed, Testflight isn’t perfect, but it follows a familiar UI pattern (notification on parent app) and even if the app isn’t in use the user is notified that a new build is available to test. Discourse app betas totally fell off the map for me when you guys moved from Testflight and even now I’m on Crashlytics I have to open the home screen shortcut or open Discourse to find that there’s a new build.

There also appears to be a slight delay between you pushing new builds and us picking them up, when you told me to pick up 179 I opened Crashlytics and received an earlier version (r174?r175?) which I had missed because of the way it notifies and updates. It wasn’t until a couple of hours later that I came back to the app and received 179.

I’m sure some of this will come with familiarity over time, but are the benefits of Crashlytics so great that it warrants going down that route?

One thing we definitely lose with the Crashlytics approach is the ability to easily hop between App Store and development versions. Testflight builds don’t require an app be uninstalled prior to download, it’s possible to install directly over the top and use the existing settings stored on device. For the ~10 other apps I currently have in Testflight the option to do this is incredibly useful.

2 Likes

I just don’t push all builds to everyone, if Im trying to fix a bug someone has, I only push to this user, to avoid constantly spamming everyone.

2 Likes