Is inviting users to be staff members directly a good idea?

Hello everyone.
I have a facebook page where I have a regular amount of followers, I was wondering if it is a good idea to ask for support from it so that they join as moderators or is it a better idea that over time they are chosen depending on their knowledge of the platform, which now that I write this, I think it is a better idea, on the other hand the platform has a certain learning curve that I personally do not think is very complicated, however I think it is good that those who wish to support have the opportunity to learn it.
Specifically, how do you select your moderators? What do you recommend for a completely new community?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

4 Likes

New place, new rules — even there would be old audience. I have 26 000 on one FB-group, 14 000 on other and just 9000 on third. I don’t need any moderators there.

My experince is brand new community doesn’t need moderators. It needs content creators, and they don’t need better rights. But sure, communities are different, so is culturelly background of users, so my experiences will apply only on my circles.

But my policy is and will be that better rights shall be given when needed. Not a second earlier.

In generally, and I’m not pointing to you at all, need for moderators comes when admin wants play only with tech and sort of shall abandon community and relies on moderators as content crerators and gate keeper. Such admins actually don’t care rat’s droppings of community, but software comes first :wink:

3 Likes

New place, new rules — even there would be old audience. I have 26 000 on one FB-group, 14 000 on other and just 9000 on third. I don’t need any moderators there.

I really appreciate your comment, especially for the experience you have, I will take your advice into account and put it into practice.

My experince is brand new community doesn’t need moderators. It needs content creators, and they don’t need better rights. But sure, communities are different, so is culturelly background of users, so my experiences will apply only on my circles.

Creating content is not my strong point, but I think I should make an effort to create content initially for.

In generally, and I’m not pointing to you at all, need for moderators comes when admin wants play only with tech and sort of shall abandon community and relies on moderators as content crerators and gate keeper. Such admins actually don’t care rat’s droppings of community, but software comes first :wink:

I understand what you are saying and I don’t take it personally (don’t worry :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:t4:) I just thought if the community went overboard in my efforts to keep it healthy I would need help but I think what you say is very true it depends a lot on how healthy you want let it be the community and you should not leave these responsibilities in the hands of anyone.

I thank you again for your response.

1 Like

Choosing moderators is about their judgement first, and their skills second. Making someone a mod is not a favour to them, or a promotion, or a simple act of friendliness - it’s giving them power over the community.

In particular, anyone who posts while angry, or tired, or under the influence, is inflammatory, or argumentative, would for me be a poor choice of moderator.

Ideally you will have set out what your culture is, how you expect people to behave, and how you expect moderators to cooperate.

I would say you should have the minimum number of moderators which can handle the load. Ideally there’s very little to do, but you might like to have people in different time zones.

You do need good members who can start interesting conversations, and keep conversations on track, and answer questions constructively - but that’s not the role of a moderator.

5 Likes

That is a really valid point when a forum is catching global audience.

And locally operating would need one mod who is suffering insomnia, at least friday and saturday nights :rofl:

2 Likes

I tried this, and the new staff member didn’t do anything useful. So what I realised was this:

They weren’t used to the community culture and happenings enough to know what to do and how

I had created a guide and kept talking to the new staff member on what to do, but they were of a different culture mindset and couldn’t fit in there. What I then learnt from this was:

To invite a new member to become a staff member, they’d have to be a good fit for the community, culture wise. Then they’d need some onboarding time and a trial period to vet this fit before fully bringing them in.

3 Likes

Just to check - you’re not talking about me, are you? :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA (Well, it was meant to be a joke as Osioke got me the job here, but the silence is ominous… Sorry for letting you down Osioke :slightly_frowning_face:)

3 Likes

Lol! Hell no! It was for a completely differently community from way before now. I had to let the staff member go.

I learnt how to manage this better from CDCK’s onboarding for new members and how Hawk gives very ample time to let one find there way around the community on their own.

3 Likes

Phew. That’s a relief. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes