Is it possible to submit a forked version for managed hosting?

Most of the context is in the title.

We are in the process of making some changes to the SSO login. The result is that a user can login without a redirecting away from the discourse site.

This is achieved by opening an iframe to the sso provider. And then only redirecting to the sso_login url once that frame has returned a token.

Why wouldn’t you make modifications using the plugin architecture? Then the issue falls away.

3 Likes

I’m still looking through the source so maybe it will work. but getting more convinced the plugin architecture doesn’t give me quite enough control to achieve what I need.

I think you have to consider the architecture and not get too insistent on having an embedded iframe, for example.

Pop-up login windows and callbacks are standard practice, for example, and very straightfoward with a plugin.

Managing a fork of Discourse would be an utterly inefficient approach and an ongoing nightmare. In contrast, if built right, plugins can be very robust to change and require much less maintenance.

5 Likes

Those who tried to maintain a forked version of Discourse are very sorry. You’ll either need to have a full time developer or integrate changes or never upgrade. And in the end you’ll move to a plugin.

I suspect that you can do what you need in a plugin, or could make it do whet you need through a PR. You should either explain why you think you can’t solve your problem in a plugin or post in #marketplace for help.

I manage discourse as a part of my business (Discourse Server Maintenance — Literate Computing, LLC) and have a few clients who need custom configuration but cannot afford enterprise level hosting. I would love your business, but wouldn’t consider supporting a fork.

2 Likes

A plug in would be better, if possible.

I will keep investigating, it is useful to see how separate our protocol is from OAuth anyway.

1 Like

I can also confirm that at Discourse.org we would not host a fork of Discourse either, even on our Enterprise Plan. You must create plugins/theme components for your changes

8 Likes