Is there a way to increase "max post length" for a specific topic?

I am updating a specific topic via the API. Unfortunately I ran into the following error a few times:

{"errors":["Body is limited to X characters; you entered Y."]}

The problem is that I don’t want to increase max post length in the admin settings, because this would make this the new post length for all topics. But I don’t see another option right now.

Is there any chance that one could set the max post length for a specific topic (or a user/token who is sending the body of the topic)?

You could create a plugin that would let you set the max post length to what you want for the one topic (or user?) and then apply a different one for the rest.

Why not just increase the post length for all posts?

2 Likes

I have no idea how to do that.

The topic that I am editing via the API is uncharacteristically long for a post. It’s a list of plugins in a table format with name, description, author(s), link. Nobody should ever write such a long post manually. :wink:

2 Likes

If you don’t want to follow the hard way of learning it yourself, you could write a specification, gather funds and announce it on marketplace.

2 Likes

Ok, so basically this is not possible with discourse unless one writes a plugin. Got it.

This just means I will have to dump this plugin list somewhere else and not in discourse. Problem solved. People will be able to click on an external link instead…

3 Likes

Has someone ever wrote as long post ever? I’m just meaning is increased max long real threat?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.