Issues with embedding from RSS

(Laura Kalbag) #1

I’m having a few issues with embedding from RSS. I’m going to enable comments for each original post, but I want to ensure that the comments end up in the right location in Discourse with the correct attributed author and publishing date.

Issue 1: embed username key from feed

I need each topic to be correctly attributed to the right author. I’m set up as the default. My RSS has a format of <discourseUsername>jo</discourseUsername>, so I entered discourseUsername as the value for embed username key from feed. It just attributes all topics to the default user. Have I done something wrong here?

Issue 2: pubdates

I need each topic’s timestamp to be the same as the original post publishing time. Otherwise adding our RSS feed of ~70 posts floods the forum with outdated topics that have recent timestamps. (Pushing newer manually-created topics down.) Is there a way to set the timestamp for topics pulled from RSS to the same time as the RSS <pubdate>?

Issue 3: chronology

Maybe related to Issue 3, the topics imported via RSS are not in the same chronological order as the original posts.

I hope none of these are stupid questions! Any help, suggestions, or workarounds would be much appreciated! :smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

We will take a look, @eviltrout is working on improved embedding for this release.

(Laura Kalbag) #3

Thanks! It’d also be pretty cool if you could feed different (multiple) RSS feeds into different categories, or put RSS-fed topics into different categories dependent on a key value.

Our use case is that we have a couple of blogs, one “newsy” and one “developer-y”, I’m using a combined RSS feed for now so that we can pull them all into Discourse, but having their separate posts/topics in their own categories would make it easier for audiences who favour one blog or the other.

(Robin Ward) #4

That looks correct to me. Can you give me a sample of the RSS feed you’re trying to import?

Another option is to use the embed by username site setting if you are okay with all posts coming from the same user.

This is unfortunately not possible right now. The embedding tool was originally meant to be “going forward” so it doesn’t have support for dates via embedding. It’s something we could definitely look at adding. (This is the same as issue 3 as far as I can tell).

(Laura Kalbag) #5

Feed is Ind.ie News and Labs with items structured like:

<item> <title>The Social Web: A Glorious Dystopia</title> <link>https://ind.ie/blog/the-social-web-a-glorious-dystopia/</link> <guid>https://ind.ie/blog/the-social-web-a-glorious-dystopia/</guid> <description>&lt;p&gt;This week we&apos;re going to dive straight into the activities of those cheeky corporations. There&apos;s so much to share!&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;https://ind.ie/blog/the-social-web-a-glorious-dystopia/&quot;&gt;Read the full post on the Ind.ie blog&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;</description> <pubDate>Fri, 24 Jul 2015 18:30:00 GMT</pubDate> <author>laura@ind.ie (Laura Kalbag)</author> <discourseUsername>laura</discourseUsername> </item>

I’ve got the embed by username set to my username, but also got embed username key from feed. Will these conflict? I’d rather have them all assigned to the original author, not just me. Though I write the most blog posts, so having it set to me isn’t a bad default…

(Laura Kalbag) #6

That makes sense. We’re going to use it “going forward” now too :smile:

It’s not exactly the same as issue 3 (but would have the same solution.) Even though the RSS is imported all at once, the topics are still ordered (because that’s how they’re presented in Discourse.) However it’s unclear what the topics are ordered by, as it’s not the same order as the <item>s in the RSS.

(system) #7