JavaScript heap out of memory due to Ember CLI

Hi!

I am trying to install Discourse to a minimal server 2vCPU / 1GB / 40GB (I don’t anticipate it will have much use, and cutting my costs)

I have been able to install Discourse previously on such an instance, but today I am getting these errors - I have searched the forum but haven’t seen anyone else report it

FATAL ERROR: Ineffective mark-compacts near heap limit Allocation failed - JavaScript heap out of memory
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.

I ran discourse-doctor as recommended by the script; it detected discourse was not running so started a rebuild, but the result is the same

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 1117 exit 1>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"assets_precompile", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile'"]}
553da25c117d42161ef95845c6876a32810feaa4b5e651ac8118981884933982
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.
==================== END REBUILD LOG ====================
Failed to rebuild app.
1 Like

+1 Same problem when running the recent update (docker-manager was updated successfully, this was a discourse update from v2.8.0.beta11 to v2.9.0.beta1.

1 Like

Could you share the specs of your server? How much RAM / swap do you have?

3 Likes

My latest rebuild also failed with a 1GB digital ocean droplet. I think I need to temporarily(?) resize to 2GB, but I’ve ./launcher restart app and restarted the pre-rebuild version while I mull it over. Not sure if that’s any help?

root@test:/var/discourse# free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          976Mi       753Mi        80Mi        29Mi       142Mi        64Mi
Swap:         2.0Gi       131Mi       1.9Gi
3 Likes

We’re going to temporarily revert our new Ember CLI build pipeline so we can debug things in lower memory environments.

7 Likes

I’ve edited the title to reflect this issue.

2 Likes

I am using a gCloud e2-micro instance (Micro machine type with 0.25 vCPU and 1 GB of memory, backed by a shared physical core)

edit: If someone is curious why in the world I would do this, I get more traffic from crawlers than users, and we’re trying to provide more points of contact for families and survivors of pediatric stroke. Nobody notices it being a little slow on first load or saving, and so the value delivered on free-tier Google Cloud is helpful.

4 Likes

This change is now reverted while we investigate further. Thanks everyone for the reports!

5 Likes

Please try another rebuild, it should work much better now

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 11 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.