Just Created My First Instance But Need Help

or use :set expandtab in vi

1 Like

I get this (after running the rebuild script but before the start script):

Discourse version at familyhistoryforum.site: NOT FOUND
Discourse version at localhost: NOT FOUND

Update: I changed the tabs for spaces and am still getting the same error.

The rebuild script is still taking the site down. When I was communicating with the Linode tech it was suggested that I run the start script and that worked.

If you run ./launcher start app that will start the existing version that you had running before the rebuild. This one will not include any changes you made to your app.yml.

If youā€™re running ./launcher rebuild app and that is failing, then you likely have an issue with the app.yml. Judging from your earlier comments, it seems like you need to get your spacing right for the plugin section. There should be 10 spaces, then the hyphen.

I fixed the spacing issue a few minutes ago.

This error from Discourse Doctor? Or one from the failed rebuild itself?

I discovered that the cd and command: lines werenā€™t formatted properly. I fixed it and the rebuild command ran properly but the port is still down and Iā€™m still getting the errors that I mentioned 2 posts ago.

When you do a rebuild it stops the existing version and builds a new one. If that rebuild fails, then you will have no app running. You can start the existing, pre-rebuild one again, but that wonā€™t include any of your latest app.yml changes.

Running ./launcher rebuild app usually takes around 15-20 minutes, and your forum will not be accessible until itā€™s finished. All being well, your rebuild will run with no errors. If it does fail, you should get a message that says:

** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

And if you scroll up there should be more information that can help solve your issue.

Does any of this sound familiar?

I just checked the end of the output of the rebuild and noticed this:

FAILED TO COMMIT f53b10638c3cc04cd2b89596a7901dbcb1c894c170265ca2b3cc7aa04abc62b4

Now when I rerun the rebuild script this happens:

I think there should be more specific errors if you scroll up further.

I believe that will be because of the failed rebuilds filling up space. If you have your app running then you could do a ./launcher cleanup to tidy up the ones that are not connected to anything. But make sure your main one is active, otherwise it will remove that as well.

I edited the post to add the image, the first part happened before that.

Iā€™m having trouble keeping up with the edits. :slight_smile: I added in a bit of info above about the cleanup process. :+1:

I ran the cleanup script and now the rebuild script is running properly again.

1 Like

Iā€™m having trouble with Google Analytics, Iā€™ve added the tracking ID but am still not getting data.

Sidenote: I noticed that thereā€™s a banner at the top of my Google Analytics dashboard saying that tracking via UA is being end-of-lifed July 1, 2023.

Would you mind creating a separate support topic for the Google analytics issue? Dedicated topics per problem help keep things findable later, and will likely get you more replies from people who recognise your problem from the topic title. :+1:

Iā€™m glad you got your rebuild sorted though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just wanted to make sure that you knew that. Also, is there a way to configure my forum to use the categories page as the homepage?

Hi Sam! You might like to have a click around in the admin settings. The first item in the top menu setting will be displayed as the homepage.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 9.29.46 PM

1 Like