Kanban Board

If you want a Kanban board…

Make a private category assigned to a private group. Makes no sense in regards to private messages… cause then they aren’t private.

Maybe I don’t understand the use case. But, an invite-only group-only assigned category will keep anyone else from accessing the Kanban board without your express permission. You can then assign a private tag grouping invisible to the rest of your forum.

In addition you could assign a custom 3rd party email (not your Discoure default) for group related messaging. Makes for an excellent private sub-forum and you can add in this Kanban theme to it if you have administrator assistance.

You can also make your group, or a related group, moderators of your private category.

Try this CSS; it preserves the expand button but hides the settings:

// Hides the Kanban settings button but preserves the expand button
.kanban-spacer .btn {
    &:nth-of-type(2){
   display: none;
    }
}
1 Like

There are so many reasons to use private message, not a forum category.

Simply you know, that is reason why private message exists, beside others. I just want to develop for only private messages here.

Just be aware there is no advantage to private messages as opposed to a private group. Both are equally accessible to admins.

If you PM me I can just add anyone I wish to the conversation at any time.
Any admin can read your private message without your knowledge.
This is in addition to tags and categories and themes not applying to private messages.

Just thoughts. Good luck on it!

1 Like

It seems that at first. But you will make trouble when you try to use group like private message for long time in forum.

There are so many, but I tell you this first:

1. Admins love private message because they do not want to pump ton of mess info to forum, which is duplicated and can not re-use for reader.
  2. If you try to use wrong function of group information, you will break up “search function” with mess info, and this will make discourse weaker to manage info in forum.

Like I said, so many other reasons. And that is why private message exists, beside others.

Accessible yes. Visible, no. Private Messages that do not include the admin do not appear in any feed whatsoever. While anything in the Forum appears in Latest unless specifically muted.

Tags do apply to PMs (but only for staff).

1 Like

I’m getting an issue where I can see the board when it’s set as the default for a category, but the option to see the board isn’t available in my options anymore.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this too, and the link isn’t present regardless of it being default or not.

I’ve resorted to a text link in the category description as a workaround, but it isn’t great as nobody ever seems to read those. Oh, and making them default.

@david Could you let us know if you’ve observed this as well and if we could expect a fix in the near future?

3 Likes

I think I’m getting to some kind of incompatibility between the Kanban plugin and the link structure to create new topics

When I use a link with a category that has a kanban board by default the new Topic link doesn’t work.

https://community/new-topic?title=topic%20title&body=topic%20body&category_id=3

I don’t see any error in the console… Any hint on where could I look to see where the problem is exactly coming froim?

2 Likes

I’m getting this behaviour;
2nd level category ‘makerfaire-planning’ (hoping to use tags mode)

board works (and board button shows up) if I make planning default view, but not if I just add planning to display categories…

console with just display selected:

settings page: iirc the input box used to search for existing topics when partial text was entered; This seems like it’s not getting any return from the query so offers to let me create a category link.

Using the category filter does not seem to have any effect. Whatever category I select, all categories are still displayed.

Any idea of a solution to this problem?

2 Likes

I’ve added a fix here:

let us know if you still run into the problem after updating!

9 Likes

Great to see this TC getting some love! It is super useful.

Any chance that we could get the nice Board link back? I miss it! I’ve taken a look but don’t understand how on earth it puts (or is meant to put) the link in there.

2 Likes

It’s working fine now, thanks for fixing!

1 Like

I’ve been asked to get a quote on how much it would cost to modify this plugin for a project proposal.

I thought i’d cross-post here as the people watching this thread are likely to be the ones who already know the code and how the plugin works.

The task would be:

1. Adding a visual burn up/burn down chart underneath to help users track progress towards goals
  2. Enabling drag and drop on a mobile device
  3. Automatically un-assigning users when the task is moved into a designated column (usually ‘done’)
4 Likes

I sitll have the same issue on discourse stable 2.8.7
Whenever I assign a specific category in display categories, the Board link disappears. When leaving display categories empty, the link is displayed properly.

2 Likes

I like this, but I wish it has support for floating style themes.

1 Like

Hey guys

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, but the “Board” button does not appear whenever I add any category into the display categories fields. When it’s left empty, the “Board” button appears globally as expected.
Tested on 2.9beta9, even with safe mode will all plugins disabled.

See the quick video below:

3 Likes

You aren’t doing anything wrong, that has been a problem for ages.

I didn’t know that the Board button was actually working when Kanban was on globally. That points to a problem in the logic here, eh?

3 Likes