Key combo to submit assignment dialog, please

Previously, I reported that the assignment dialog was too-eagerly submitting: when I hit Enter to select the user I’d arrowed to in the dialog. That’s been fixed and I’m really liking the comment feature.

But now there’s no key combo I can find that submits the dialog. I’ve tried Enter and Ctrl-Enter in various places. I’ve tried tabbing to the Assign button, but I have to tab across all the faces the dialog suggests.

Sooo… this is my request for a key combo (presumably Ctrl-Enter since it seems somewhat standard) to submit the Assign dialog from the keyboard. :kissing_heart:

7 Likes

(note the keycasting on the bottom left of the video)

I’ve tried it out on my own instance and it feels like +enter works. Is your cursor focused in the user textbox when you’re triggering Ctrl+enter?

That’s not working for me, even from the text box. I do have Grammarly running on the site, but Ctrl-Enter still works to submit a post…

1 Like

Ah. The video was showing + enter from the user field. I wonder if that is okay for you?

The textarea currently isn’t ‘configured’ to register the enter button (there are little intricacies to that). The textarea is one tab tab tab away from the button, so it may not be that painful from there for now.

In any case, we do have someone assigned to this so expect some good news in the coming weeks. :slight_smile:

Hi,

That doesn’t work either. I promise I’ve tried from most places in the dialog. :smiley:

Yes, I can tab out of the textarea to the submit button. And I supposed Tab-Enter is the same keystroke count as Ctrl-Enter. But it would be really nice if I could use the same shortcuts throughout the site.

In case you’re wondering, Ubuntu / Chrome: Version 102.0.5005.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

Okay, if I choose an assignee & then tab into the faces, Ctrl-Enter works. I had been afraid it would assign to that person, but apparently not.

1 Like

Somehow this slipped under my radar, I am going to work on a fix for this in the next couple of days, will post back here when I have merged it.

2 Likes

I took a look at this yesterday, and without any changes I was able to submit with Control + Enter (in actuality only Enter is required since that’s built into our modals):

• After tabbing once from the username selector
  • After tabbing once from the textarea

So maybe is the only thing required here that Control + Enter works while the textarea is focused? That is easy enough, though I’m not sure if we are able to do that when the user selector is focused.

I am on Chrome 103.0.5060.134 on Linux, I am not sure if the browser makes a difference or not.

Yes, please!

I’m on Linux Chrome Version 103.0.5060.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

I just deployed your site with this fix FEATURE: Allow submitting the assign modal with ctrl+enter by martin-brennan · Pull Request #362 · discourse/discourse-assign · GitHub it should work now :slight_smile:

1 Like

This isn’t working quite like I thought it would…

I’ve been on vacation, sorry to see it’s still not working quite right! I think there is a bit of terminology difference here:

The user selector is what you are trying press Control + Enter here while you have it focused, which is the case I mentioned where it wouldn’t work. By textarea I meant the part with the Note. I am not sure if it’s going to be easy to submit when the user selector is focused, @nat is this something we want to continue to try fix up?

Let’s let this sit a bit longer and wait for more requests. The feature works and there’s a good workaround right now.

3 Likes

Okay, here’s another thought:

Can we move the rogues’ gallery above the dropdown?
Selection_522

Because after I’ve used the dropdown, I’ve already picked the assignee & don’t need to pick from the pictures. That would let me tab straight from the dropdown to the comment field (& keyboard-submit from there)

I just noticed that the rogues’ gallery is gone! Thank you!!!

2 Likes