'launcher' fails - limited storage - launcher destroy app

Hi guys.
I wonder if it’s a bug?

-> $ ./launcher destroy app
x86_64 arch detected.

WARNING: We are about to start downloading the Discourse base image
This process may take anywhere between a few minutes to an hour, depending on your network speed

Please be patient

2.0.20220128-1817: Pulling from discourse/base
Digest: sha256:dcb4eb8e41a2e84f776f80587f308d167a54ad7ff4ba616199891828bbd4ddae
Status: Downloaded newer image for discourse/base:2.0.20220128-1817
docker.io/discourse/base:2.0.20220128-1817
You have less than 5GB of free space on the disk where /var/lib/docker is located. You will need more space to continue
Filesystem                         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv   19G   14G  3.8G  79% /

Would you like to attempt to recover space by cleaning docker images and containers in the system? (y/N)y
If the cleanup was successful, you may try again now

Surely, even it that is the case and storage is limited indeed, then perhaps every other action may fail but that should not stop ‘launcher’ from destroying the container, right?
What is the logic behind that?
Same I experience with ‘stop’

p.s. I’m new do Discourse - why ‘destroy’ would ‘…start downloading the Discourse…’ ?

When you say ./launcher destroy app it means that launcher will operate on the site defined in the app.yml file. In order to parse that app.yml file and construct all the logic in it, we need some software. And since we can’t feasibly control which software exists on the thousands of different hosts running Discourse, we use the same base image we use for Discourse to parse and interpret what’s on that app.yml file, hence we need to download it.

If you can’t afford the space, you can always to down an abstraction level to the docker commands directly. In this example, the equivalent would be docker stop app && docker rm app.

2 Likes

20GB is just barely enough to operate and once your forum has much data you won’t be able to do things the prescribed, supported, easy way. I recommend a minimum of 25GB, but 50 is a safer place to start.

You could also see if you have backups filling things up? But you might want to be able to make backups one day.