Letter avatars out of alignment with ImageMagick update

Here I go again with the avatars…

This is probably not a bug now that 1.4 has been released, but since I am not quite ready to upgrade our live site yet, I have restricted our site to Discourse 1.4b9. However, when I rebuilt Discourse to add a plugin this week, a Discourse base image update (samsaffron/discourse:1.0.13) has brought a new version of ImageMagick with it that has left all my letter avatars vertically misaligned.

The end result is that all my letter avatars now look like this:

Prior to September 22, the ImagMagick version was 6.9.1-3 Q16 x86_64 2015-05-29, and after September 22, the version is now 6.9.2-3 Q16 x86_64 2015-09-22.

Can I downgrade ImageMagick in my container and rebuild the letter avatars, at least until I’m ready to go to the official 1.4 release?

3 Likes

This needs to be fixed because people are still allowed to use the local avatar generation instead of the external service.

3 Likes

I will get a fix backported into beta and stable … in the mean time just add

base_image: samsaffron/discourse:1.0.12

To your yaml config and rebuild.

remember to take it out when you upgrade, you don’t want to be stuck on old image forever

Raised issue on Image Magick forum: Gravity center + annotate behavior change in 6.9.2-3 - ImageMagick

2 Likes

If anybody is wondering where they should add

base_image: "samsaffron/discourse:1.0.12"

in the yaml config file, it goes right at the top :slight_smile:

1 Like

For anyone following along, I’ve isolated the problem to this commit which fixes this reported bug in ImageMagick. I have no idea yet how to fix it, but I’m going to keep chipping away at it.

5 Likes

Looks like it is getting fixed thanks to @mpalmer’s research !!!

http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?p=126317#p126317

5 Likes

The issue is now fixed in ImageMagick’s git tree (as of 60001c3). There doesn’t appear to be a tarball release yet, but I’m sure there’ll be one soonish.

4 Likes

Pretty sure this is all sorted now… closing!

2 Likes