Lexicon: a customizable native mobile app for your Discourse site

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Let me know if you have any other questions.

By the way, I forgot to mention, we also have a post on ProductHunt today that is doing pretty well. If you’d like to show some support, feel free to go check it out!

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying! Lexicon sounds really interesting. I’m looking forward to tablet support!

If I wanted to build a social media platform off of Discourse, would Lexicon be ideal for that purpose? Assuming Lexicon doesn’t come to desktop platforms in the future, desktop support would be a hurdle.

1 Like

Pretty exciting!

A few comments/questions:

1. It’s not clear if DiscourseConnect is supported; might be worth adding that to the supported features page.

2. There’s a lot of options available for ways of installing Prose, both in the tutorial and the docs. I suspect that material could be better organised. I found myself unclear about how SSL setup would work if I was trying to do things as simply as possible using your docker image.

3. I’d love to try it out, but there’s no obvious way of doing so. If you made an app available for meta, we could :slight_smile:

4. Push notifications & deep linking as you mention are definitely important features in my mind.

5. Given the complexities of updates, app deployment, prose, etc., my mind quickly goes to being interested in a paid turn-key hosted/supported service where you handle all this. Might be worth you offering one. I’m curious what pricing would be like.

5 Likes

Along with tablet support, right? :wink:

1 Like

this is excellent work

4 Likes

Does Lexicon have its own Discourse community? The GitHub is nice, but you can’t really talk about Lexicon there in a proper manner.

5 Likes

Hi, there seems to be some issue when the application is loading a post contains non-English characters (e.g. 中文 Chinese characters), I guessed that may related to the unicode name feature of discourse (Unicode usernames and group names) and I’ve opened an issue to put the detailed error log at the Github repository:

1 Like

Nice one! Have you incorporated any automated moderation solutions yet? Would love to reduce abuse and spam I see in some forums.

I tried to configure Lexicon mobile app following the Tutorial given on Lexicon. After completing all the steps and launching mobile app for a free discourse instance(https://meta.discourse.org/), I am getting these error on the phone and terminal log respectively.
lexicon_mobile

Terminal error:

None of these files exist:

\generated\server\globalTypes(.native|.android.js|.native.js|.js|.android.json|.native.json|.json|.android.ts|.native.ts|.ts|.android.tsx|.native.tsx|.tsx|.android.svg|.native.svg|.svg)

src\generated\server\globalTypes\index(.native|.android.js|.native.js|.js|.android.json|.native.json|.json|.android.ts|.native.ts|.ts|.android.tsx|.native.tsx|.tsx|.android.svg|.native.svg|.svg)
 5 | import { DEFAULT_CHANNEL } from '../constants';
  6 | import { Text } from '../core-ui';
>  7 | import { TopicsSortEnum } from '../generated/server/globalTypes';
    |                                 ^
   8 | import {
  9 |   anchorToMarkdown,
  10 |   errorHandler,
1 Like

After setting up the project, the following errors are occurring repeatedly:

I have provided http:// in the MOBILE_HOST_PRONE but even then it’s showing error while running the app in the phone

1 Like

Also another error is this:
Unable to start your application : no-registered-application.

1 Like

Hello. These days I have been trying to build an app following their documentation. (Context: I don’t know building apps.) Unfortunately, I didn’t make it. I ran into never-ending errors. Graphql API server up but not able to interact with it as described, Expo go unable to connect to the local development server… So I checked and checked and searched around to make sure that I did comprehend the steps right, until I saw the issues page of the project on Github, realizing that this project may have been not under maintenance since Oct 2021. Unlike before knowing this, I feel so hopeless in front of those errors now.

I wonder if there’s still anyone here at Meta having a Lexicon app running? Maybe there exist some issues in Lexicon causing errors? Or if there’s no problem in Lexicon and somebody’s having it running perfectly, could you share some thoughts on how did you make it work? Is there something that may be not well explained in their documentation that I should pay attention to?

I find topics about Lexicon are quite bizarrely rare on meta by the way. (why? Lexicon seems to be an excellent solution for those who want an app for their discourse site. :thinking:

1 Like

I have tried to configure the prose server, but I was not able to do it. Can anyone help me to build this app for my Forum with whitelabeling?

1 Like

What kind of issues are you running into?

Could you provide more details?

Also, check this issue on Github:

Maybe answering some of the questions the other person asked would help:

could you share more about your setup?

• What are the specific contents you have in api/.env and frontend/.env?
  • What are the specific commands you’re running to start the API and the frontend?
  • Are you running in a simulator on your computer? Or are you using the Expo Go app on your phone?

Because until very recently, the topic autoclosed after 30 days of no replies. So no one could reply to it.

Yes… so the post you are replying to was actually a separate topic merged into here by a moderator, forcing this topic to be open again. I was wondering why there were quite few new topics on Lexicon other than this one.

But thanks to your reply I discover that there are new replies to this topic! Glad to see that people are gathering around here again. It seems that the developer is back with more detailed guide, I’m gonna try setting up the app again. :laughing:

@Kuro22: Context: I don’t know building apps.

If you don’t have experience building apps (in particular with React Native), it is more likely that you will encounter further difficulty understanding the project, its documentation, how to setup it up correctly, and how to deploy your own Lexicon-powered mobile app.

It is recommended you consult with someone that has familiarity with React Native, Expo, and general experience in NodeJS, as well as actually deploying apps to the App and Play Stores.

Also having a solid understanding of how .env files and environment variables work is vital to building and deploying this project on your own.

Without that, at best, you may be able to get it working locally. But trying to deploy it yourself without past technical experience may prove to be a frustrating experience without outside support.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did consider consulting someone professional for help, but my budget wouldn’t be sufficient, because I’m running a community without sources of revenue yet. I feel confident about understanding the project after reading several tens of times the documentation. And it’s supposed to be able to have an app working following the tutorial?

By the way, could you help me with this? Would appreciate it a lot. I just encountered the error when executing yarn generate. (in Windows Powershell, nodejs v.16.16.0):cry: I haven’t seen anyone having the same problem yet. Could this be caused by the version of nodejs? I saw in the tutorial that “For now, it is recommended that you perform this tutorial using a version of Node between 12 and 14.” But I assume that Expo has supported the new version…

PS C:\Users\kuro\Documents\GitHub\lexicon> yarn generate
yarn run v1.22.19
$ yarn --cwd api generate && yarn --cwd frontend graphql:generate
$ yarn generate:schema
$ env SKIP_VALIDATION=true ts-node --transpile-only src/schema.ts
'env' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
error Command failed with exit code 1.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/run for documentation about this command.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/run for documentation about this command.
  'expo-cli supports following Node.js versions:\n' +
  '* >=12.13.0 <15.0.0 (Maintenance LTS)\n' +
  '* >=16.0.0 <17.0.0 (Active LTS)\n';

Yes, it looks like your system is not on the right version of Node and / or Expo, so you would need to ensure that you are according to what it specifies.

2 Likes

If anyone has further issues, we would encourage you to file them on the issue tracker.

1 Like