Like Notifications are clearing without viewing the Post

I noticed it and I liked the feature!
I first had thought it was a bug, but then I loved it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s exactly the case with me. I was tired of clicking on likes just to remove the highlighting…

Possible improvements

A. Do not highlight like notifications at all, but still show them in the queue in the menu as it is done now. So that there is no auto-de-highlighting that might confuse.

or

B. “collapse” all likes in the menu and show a single item:

“14 likes received”

… it could be shown at the very top of the list, just as it is currently done for PMs. As soon as it is shown once, it disappears from the menu next time you open it, same as for PMs. When the collapsed menu item is clicked, it can either:

a) open the “likes received” section in my notifications tab /users/<username>/notifications/likes-received

or

b) expand right in the menu and show all likes received (not highlighted, but clickable just as any other notifications)

1 Like

I amended the logic so my biggest peeve is no longer the case, every notification now gets cleared on click and the internals are far more robust.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/dd6ebde8247d849c1d429d5807c545f09091128d

I was looking at adding another user option for “notify on every like” which is essentially what Twitter do, however will not be adding any more options till I split out the user_options from the user table, which is a pretty challenging code maneuver.

8 Likes