Limit group owners for addition of everyone to their group

(Pad Pors) #1

currently group owners can add anyone to their group. isn’t it better to keep some limits or some privacy for users?

suggestions:

1. a setting in the user profile, which limit others from adding him to a group.

2. or a limit for group owners so that they can only add 100 members manually to the group, and others should either join or apply.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Possibly, should there be rate limits here @tgxworld?

(Sam Saffron) #3

I am not sure I would like to have either 1) or 2) …

1. means we need a bunch of extra UI now that is very very hard to explain. (allow non staff group managers to add me to groups)

2. means that group manager is no longer really a group manager

I am kind of open to a “max group size” kind of restriction but it seems it would not solve your problem anyway.

(Kane York) #4

maybe it could be turned into an “invite” system instead of just click button, person is in group?

If you have a pending invite, “request membership” becomes “Join Group”. Sned a notification.

(Alan Tan) #5

Perhaps a site setting to restrict the number of members that a group owner can add per day?

(Pad Pors) #7

thanks,

should a group manager be able to manage users out of the group or inside it? I guess the second is more relevant.

from a user point of view, @riking suggestion makes a better user experience.
it also solves the problem that users don’t understand they are in a group, unless they get some private message.